Can a starter be cold crashed to long??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
My plan is to brew a big RIS OG 1.106 next Tuesday. Sunday did my part 1 of the 2 part starter, 2.5L for 36hrs then cold crashed. Took it out of the fridge about 20min ago so it will warm to room temp by Noon tomm, I decanted some of the liquid so it would help with warming to room temp better my fridge is cold mid-high 30's. Tomm I'm going to decant the rest leaving a little bit to swirl the yeast in then make a 3L starter to pitch on the yeast. Let it do its thing again for prob 36hrs, its this long because I'm swirling as I have no stir plate and want to make sure the yeast do what they need to do. So that would put me at Fri morning time to cold crash. I plan on crashing until Monday night then like this time pull it out pour off some liquid and let it come to room temp by the time I have to pitch prob Tuesday early afternoon hopefully by 1-2pm. Does my process look ok? Is 4 days to long to cold crash? This won't cause the yeast to go dormant will it? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

You should be fine cold crashing for a week or two with no I'll effects. Also, you don't need to worry so much about warming the yeast up to room temp. If the yeast is cooler than your pitch temp then no worries. It is pitching yeast into too warm that poses issues. Brew on!

You should be fine cold crashing for a week or two with no I'll effects. Also, you don't need to worry so much about warming the yeast up to room temp. If the yeast is cooler than your pitch temp then no worries. It is pitching yeast into too warm that poses issues. Brew on!

Oh ok I feel better. So it's pitching a starter warmer than the wort that causes problems. So should I put my starter back into the fridge until tomm or just leave it out. Does it matter either way, my house is at 72-74deg F at the moment but if I leave it out it'll sit out for prob poss 20hrs befor I have a chance to make the step up.

Back