Can a Hydrogen tank be used to hold CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Murray

Reaction score
I bought this Keg and tank with regulator from some Dentist that tried to use it for Hydrowater..

anyway, along came with the keg a empty Hydrogen Tank with a double gauge oxygen regulator and all the connections for taping and dispense.

I looked up online that the Hydrogen tank has the same threads and size of the CO2 tanks.

so 2 questions 1. can I use this tank for CO2?
2. Can I use this regulator for CO2?

Thank you everyone for the advise. picture below.
John
Gas.jpg

you might be able to get a discount, for a swap of a co2 tank at a welding shop for it? no one will fill it with co2...and i'm pretty sure that reg won't work for co2....

The reg will work for CO2 but it might be hard to set the right pressure with a manometer that goes to 16 bar with markings every 0,5 bar.
The tank cannot be legally filled with CO2 as the markings are all wrong.

I agree with the folks above that suggest exchanging it at a welding gas supply store.
I looked up online that the Hydrogen tank has the same threads and size of the CO2 tanks.
Have you tried removing the regulator from the tank?... you will find that it has left hand threads indicated by the notches in the nut (flammable gas always has left hand threads ie., propane, acetylene, and your hydrogen)
1C198189-C1CB-4B3A-B7C4-4A0DC2DB5226.jpeg

Back