Can a good bock be made with Wyeast 2007 Pilsen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Just wondering about that.

Recently made a malt liquor and will have yeast ready for washing shortly. and i'm fairly sure the next beer on the list is going to be a bock.

Now, instead of running out and getting new yeast, i'd like to see if i can re use the yeast into another beer somewhat soon... or would the flavors be too different to make a decent bock with 2007?

Its not the ideal yeast, but it will more than likely be just fine, id go for it. The difference in lager yeasts isnt as much as ale yeasts. Make sure you have a flavorful base malt(s), and good temp control.

Sweet, thanks!!

had a feeling about the lager yeasts, the more i read on them, it's either more of a spicy yeast or clean and malty... the two descriptions (bohemian lager/pilsen lager) are close enough :)

Just brewed a Bock on Saturday using a second pitch of 2007. OG was 17p and hoping for a FG of around 4.5 - 5. Took about 24 hours to get kicking and after 48 hours it was really churning. Temp set @ 48 deg now and plan to let it free rise to 51 after a week.

How did yours turn out??

Back