Campden tablets newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatonRW

Reaction score
OK so this isn't the first or last batch of wine Ive made but this is kinda a newbie question. I started a cherry and a blueberry wine 3 days ago they are both in 1 gallon carboys after 3 day initial fermentation. I'm concerned that I didn't get bottles cleaned thoroughly enough. Can I add campden tablet to each one for 24 hours kill the yeast and restart fermentation if need be?

Also my SG was 1.10 on both which if I let ferment completely out I know I'll have a high ABV can I stop fermentation early to keep from having the heat from the alcohol making it smoother?

2013-07-06 00.55.53.jpg

If you did not clean/sanitize containers appropriately there is always a risk, but if you do not have SO2, aka Campden, on board I would go ahead and add it now. Your ferment is established and it will not kill yeast, it is an antioxidant/antibacterial.
As far as stopping live yeast, no chemicals exist that you want to add in the amount you would need in order to still want to drink your wine. You can pasteurize or fortify with pure grain (but I do not think you want that option). Depending on the yeast used you can aim for yeast die off due to alcohol toxicity. Some would say rack, cold crash, rack, add Campden/k-meta and pray to the wine god. If it were me I would let this potential 14.5% batch ferment out to its natural end and make a similar but much lower ACV batch and blend.

I used Red Star Montrachet Yeast last batch of strawberry I made with the same yeast and it was good had some kick to it but good. For one gallon just crush and add 1 campden tablet or pray to the wine gods for good wine. That's what I was thinking as for blending I forgot after fermentation I was going blend apple juice with it to smooth it out.

Back