Campden Tablet Oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Dykema

Reaction score
I recently read an article which stated that you could use a campden tablet in order to eliminate chlorine from you brewing water. So, I added 1 crushed tablet to four gallons of water and went about my normal brewing process for a four gallon batch. As it turns out, 1 tablet was enough for twenty gallons! It has now been a week, I have pitched the yeast twice and still no fermentation. This is a 2.5 gallon Blue Moon Clone. Is this batch salvable by splash racking? Or should I just toss the whole thing and start from scratch?

Last edited:
Some folks use crushed Camden tables as an oxygen scavenger in LODO brewing techniques. I am not sure the dosage but I think it’s more than one.

So, if I agitate the wort, get some O2 in it and repitch a packet of yeast, it should work?

Have you checked a hydrometer reading?
Specific gravity is the only reliable way to monitor fermentation progress.

If it's been a week and you pitched yeast twice, then either your wort isn't fermentable (unlikely), your yeast was dead/killed somehow (also unlikely), or it's already fermented/fermenting.

I took an initial reading, haven't taken one since. But there is absolutely no sign of fermentation. No trub / bubbling... Nothing. It appeared as if it was trying after I pitched dry yeast. Nothing since. I think the campden tablet killed it.

I've used a whole a campden tablet before and had no issues. Unless you're putting in with your wort with your yeast.......

I put it in the water before the boil. Apparently its still effective after the boil. I took another hydrometer reading. After pitching yeast 3 times, I only have ABV of 2.76. A far cry from the 6.71 it should be.

In this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/campden-tablets-sulfites-and-brewing-water.361073/ mabrungard wrote "Campden tablet use is cheap insurance and the consequence of using too much is virtually non-existent. The recommended dosage of 1 tablet per 20 gallons of tap water leaves you with very little residue. In addition, the residue is composed of simple ionic components that are not hazardous or detrimental to beer or its flavor." Martin Brungard is a brewing scientist - I'd say you're ok with the campden.

I put it in the water before the boil. Apparently its still effective after the boil. I took another hydrometer reading. After pitching yeast 3 times, I only have ABV of 2.76. A far cry from the 6.71 it should be.

Ok, so you do have alcohol. That means your wort is fermenting, you may not see any evidence of it due to an air leak somewhere in your fermentation vessel. Take a hydrometer reading every 3 days, as long as it continues to drop fermentation is still progressing. Once you have two hydrometer readings the same you can bottle it.

On my first brew, which is still in the fermentor, My OG was 1.054 and I took a hydrometer reading after 9 days when the bubbling had stopped. That reading was 1.028. This calculates to an ABV% of 3.4 which is below the 5.0 to 5.5 specified in my kit. I'm planning on taking another SG reading today (3 days later) to see how it is progressing.

Did you taste your hydrometer sample? Was it good?

Last edited:
Ok, so you do have alcohol. That means your wort is fermenting, you may not see any evidence of it due to an air leak somewhere in your fermentation vessel. Take a hydrometer reading every 3 days, as long as it continues to drop fermentation is still progressing. Once you have two hydrometer readings the same you can bottle it.

On my first brew, which is still in the fermentor, My OG was 1.054 and I took a hydrometer reading after 9 days when the bubbling had stopped. That reading was 1.028. This calculates to an ABV% of 3.4 which is below the 5.0 to 5.5 specified in my kit. I'm planning on taking another SG reading today (3 days later) to see how it is progressing.

Did you taste your hydrometer sample? Was it good?

It tasted a little yeasty. I guess that's what pitching yeast three times will do to it. I am keeping an eye on it. I think I see a bit more activity than what I have been, so maybe the tablet gassed out and the yeast are acting up again. I'm also hoping that the flavor will mellow out after some time.

What was your recipe? Your recipe might have sucked.

How are you measuring specific gravity and alcohol? That matters a ton as well.
It was a brew in a bag all grain recipe; 5.5 lbs Belgian Pale Ale, .5 lb flaked wheat, .5 lb flaked oats, mashed for 90 minutes, Boiled for 60, .5 oz Saaz and .5 oz Hallertau pellet hops at 60 minutes, .5 oz sweet orange peel, .5 oz coriander with 10 minutes left in the boil. The boil started with approx 4 gallons. Ended with 2.5 Then pitched a Belgian Witbier yeast.

It was a brew in a bag all grain recipe; 5.5 lbs Belgian Pale Ale, .5 lb flaked wheat, .5 lb flaked oats, mashed for 90 minutes, Boiled for 60, .5 oz Saaz and .5 oz Hallertau pellet hops at 60 minutes, .5 oz sweet orange peel, .5 oz coriander with 10 minutes left in the boil. The boil started with approx 4 gallons. Ended with 2.5 Then pitched a Belgian Witbier yeast.
Walk us through your Brew in a bag process.

What did your crush look like?
What was your mash temp?
How long did you mash before you removed the bag?
Did you squeeze?

I use TWO campden tablets in each batch as a cheap insurance. Have never had issues with it. And I'm going to beat a very dead horse by reiterating that airlock activity (or lack thereof) is NOT an indicator of fermentation (or again, lack thereof). Unless you have absolutely nothing else to do, and can watch your fermenter 24/7, chances are you missed seeing primary fermentation happen and it's already done, barring any untold issues. A watched pot never boils, and a watched fermenter will never give up its secrets until you leave the room.

The ONLY reliable form of checking your fermentation is to take gravity samples. And there's no need for that until your beer has been in the fermenter at least 5 days, preferably 7. The more times you open the fermenter to stare at it or check gravity, the more you risk letting nasty unwanted bugs in, or oxidation. I've said it before, and so have many others here, PATIENCE is the number one ingredient required for brewing beer.

If you are using a refractometer for gravity samples after fermentation, the reading will be way off.

I was watching the fermentation process closely. It never looked right. I took two gravity readings a week apart. It did get to 2.76 ABV but only after pitching yeast three times. I gave it a taste test. It was very yeasty to say the least. I tossed it and redid the recipe with no campden tablet. GOing much much better. Good color, foam and trubbage. Lots of activity.

Back