Camlock vs Other Quick Disconnect Fttings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Which is generally better or preferred?
THIS?
or THIS?

Looks like they would both connect to THIS

They'll be used for connecting silicon tubes to BK, MT, and HLT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe your first and third links go together. The male connector for the middle link is different, this one for example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IEMJK3O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also, pretty sketchy amazon reviews for link 2. I have bought that type connector in matched pairs from morebeer and they work fine however I wanted all my connectors to be the same type so I eventually swapped those out for camlocks like links 1 and 3 though my males don't look like that link 3 picture.

brewhardware has pretty good prices on high quality camlocks fwiw. That is where I've bought all of mine anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only the first link connects to the 3rd link. The second link is not a camlock, its a quick disconnect.

Quick disconnects have the benefits of being faster to use and taking up less space than a cam lock.

Cam locks form a tighter seal, and are far easier to sanitize (quick disconnect is worse than threads as far as sanitation goes).

I prefer doing either camlocks or triclover for the wort, quickdisconnects for the water (but if you are using your water to back flush to clean the chiller, then using the same thing across the board is better).

I am going through a bit of a crisis right now in regards to quick disconnects so let me me pass on some valuable information. Whichever system you decide to buy into buy everything you need from the same retailer at the same time. I've been buying stuff for my home brew setup for over a year now from many different retailers and when finally assembling everything I learned a very hard lesson. There is no absolute standard for quick disconnects, I have 18 female disconnects which use 3 different thickness o-rings. I have a ton of male disconnects that while looking the same have slightly different length's and won't always make a tight fit. I have over 35 fittings all ranging from $10-$15 ea. that won't necessarily play together.

Camlocks are the same way, there is no true standard, different manufacturers might make them just a little different.So whatever you do, pick a disconnect type and stick to the same seller. I'm considering switching to all camlocks from brewhardware.com (fellow HBT member) for consistency if nothing else.

FWIW, my whole system is camlocks, and I really wish I would have saved the money and went with triclover. There are just so many more options out there that already have TC ports on them. Plus, TC is marginally easier to clean, where if you're not careful with camlocks you can get gunk buildup in some of the little hidden areas. You just have to be diligent with cleaning and sanitizing.

HOWEVER, I'm not completely dissatisfied with my current camlocks. They are very convenient and quick to switch around. Link 1 and 3 are great, just avoid link 2. They are no good.

Here's a video I just made this morning showing the variances in SS QD's.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlz9KolYt5Y&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

I am going through a bit of a crisis right now in regards to quick disconnects so let me me pass on some valuable information. Whichever system you decide to buy into buy everything you need from the same retailer at the same time. I've been buying stuff for my home brew setup for over a year now from many different retailers and when finally assembling everything I learned a very hard lesson. There is no absolute standard for quick disconnects, I have 18 female disconnects which use 3 different thickness o-rings. I have a ton of male disconnects that while looking the same have slightly different length's and won't always make a tight fit. I have over 35 fittings all ranging from $10-$15 ea. that won't necessarily play together.

Camlocks are the same way, there is no true standard, different manufacturers might make them just a little different.So whatever you do, pick a disconnect type and stick to the same seller. I'm considering switching to all camlocks from brewhardware.com (fellow HBT member) for consistency if nothing else.

Thank you for the GREAT Intel!!!!

I recently started purchasing quick disconnects to upgrade some of my hardware and ran across this forum. I made a bunch of purchases on Amazon and was afraid not all of the QD parts would fit properly since they were all from random manufactures. That being said, they actually all fit together snugly and have no leaks or problems so far. I have yet to brew with them, but trial runs are showing promising results.

Only after ordering most of my parts, I found brewhardware.com. I also ordered some parts from them as well and I expect them to play well with all the other fittings. I hope this helps other brews in the future!

Back