Camco straight 5500w not compatible with welding spud?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renthispace

Reaction score
Well I knew it was a possibility, but I haven't heard anyone complain of not being able to use a camco element with a welding spud. I may have just found such combo.

This is the element http://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-55...Electric-Water-Heater-Element-15597/100150507

See picture below...this is as hand tight as I am conftorable doing and the gasket is no where near being engaged. Am I missing something or do I need a different element?

IMG_20130905_210102.jpg

Is the ferrule you've got there a tapered thread instead of straight? That's the only reason it wouldn't be working.

I think you're going to run into that issue with any element you choose.

You may be able use what you've got as long as you've got sufficient thread contact and can find a washer and silicone o-ring to fill the gap. Still, I'd recommend looking at a new ferrule.

Yes from your store.

I believe the spud is tapered and most elements are straight? Most elements screw in far enough so that the oring engages....or that is how I thought others have said it. This is my first time :)

I've never seen an element with round plastic on the back. I have the Camco 5500w 02933 which appears to be almost exactly the same as yours but it threads in all the way. I even took the gasket off to see how far it would thread and it almost lets the metal hex touch. The picture on the home depot site clearly shows a 02932 which is interchangeable with 02933 but the one you have in your picture is different.

I'd say you can either swap it out for the one that has the square plastic showing 02932/02933 or you can wrap several layers of teflon tape on and thread it in with a wrench. I recently encountered a 2000w element that wouldn't go all the way in and liberal teflon tape sealed fine at the thread junction.

Thanks Bobby on the square vs circular element cap, I will look at HD tonight for the square version. I really like this ulwd element and don't want to go with the ripple version since I have the length available.

I had the same issue and just used Teflon tape plus a few large rubber washers. No issues over about 10 brews now.

Well I knew it was a possibility, but I haven't heard anyone complain of not being able to use a camco element with a welding spud. I may have just found such combo.

This is the element http://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-55...Electric-Water-Heater-Element-15597/100150507

See picture below...this is as hand tight as I am conftorable doing and the gasket is no where near being engaged. Am I missing something or do I need a different element?

IMG_20130905_210102.jpg

The element has straight threads & the welding spud has female pipe thread. Most of the time it's a non-issue but it looks like this time the tolerance stack-up caught up with you.

Back