camco RV hose "Not designed for use with hot water" ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyburt

Reaction score
well I started to get worried about using my hose I had for rinsing/washing out equipment. I used to use a short 4' hose I bought at the hardware store. I can't remember if it was an RV hose or not & it started to kink so I figured since I've been making a few batches (50+ or so) I should really take any precautions and use a hose "safe for drinking water".

I know some people use a regular garden hose and that's fine if you want to. This post is NOT about whether or not a "regular" garden hose is safe. I've tried to search for this topic but cannot find an answer, only a few posts about the taste of hose using an RV hose.

below is an email I am sending to the company. if anyone has any insight to the answers to my questions please comment. otherwise I hope camco addresses my questions without beating around the bush and gives me some straight forward answers.

I've recently purchased a drinking water hose (#22743) from amazon. I wanted to use the hose for brewing beer. I wanted to transfer hot water (up to 130* F) from my indoor piping to an outside brewing rig as well as use it to wash/rinse out equipment (again ~130* F water).

My question is what are the dangers in doing so since -after receiving the product and reading the warning on the back of cardboard slip- the product is not designed for hot water?

What is the company's definition of hot water that becomes dangerous to use? i.e. what is the limit of temperature I can run through the hose without and dangers to drinking the water afterwards?

Is the hot water danger stated in regards to a health issue with drinking the water or is it dangerous to cause damage to the hose?

I'll be using the hose to transfer hot water to a brew rig and then boil it. Will this change the health dangers in using it for drinking water if the water is boiled after it passes through the hose?​

What? You mean will the hose you are using to clean your equipment affect the quality of your beer? If you are using good cleaner and sanatizer, it certainly doesn't matter. Are you filling up your strike water with this hose? You aren't going to get any ill-effects just from cleaning with a hose that isn't rated for drinking water or certain temps.

If you are that worried about it, go pick up some washing machine hose that can handle the hot temps. It should run you about $10-15.

The hoses rated maximum pressure is determined using cold water. This pressure rating drops significantly as the temperature of the water increases. Without testing it, it's hard to say how much pressure it'll hold at 130 deg.

This an old thread but came up as the first Google search. I sent Camco the same question on hose #22803 and they responded that the hose will tolerate up to 180F.

I originally asked because I was concerned about chemicals leaching into the hose & not pressure issues. I never did get a straight answer from anyone on here....

My concern is; if I use this "safe" hose with 130-150* water to clean my rig up what happens to the plastic &/rubber inside of the house? Does that cause chemicals to leach out of the inner lining so that later when I use the house for fill water in MLT or HLT that I will later be drinking my fill water has cancer causing chemicals in it?

Same idea behind drinking cold water out of a plastic bottle is ok but if you leave the plastic bottle filled with water in your car all day while sunny then you are drinking the chemicals that have leaching from the plastic and into your drinking water.

I originally asked because I was concerned about chemicals leaching into the hose & not pressure issues. I never did get a straight answer from anyone on here....

My concern is; if I use this "safe" hose with 130-150* water to clean my rig up what happens to the plastic &/rubber inside of the house? Does that cause chemicals to leach out of the inner lining so that later when I use the house for fill water in MLT or HLT that I will later be drinking my fill water has cancer causing chemicals in it?

My understanding of how plastic leeches at 170+ degrees tells me the plastic would leech into the hot water and then that plastic would become stable and safe for cold water use later. the plastic only leeches "while" unstable at these extreme temps. the coolers that many use for mashtuns are only rated as foodsafe up to 170 degrees too... That said it likely takes a lot of long term exposure to have an effect at temps above that.

Same idea behind drinking cold water out of a plastic bottle is ok but if you leave the plastic bottle filled with water in your car all day while sunny then you are drinking the chemicals that have leaching from the plastic and into your drinking water.

Yes but if you dump that already contaminated water out and refill the same bottle with regular tap water (or new filtered water if you prefer) That bottle is then fine to use and the water safe to drink..

This an old thread but came up as the first Google search. I sent Camco the same question on hose #22803 and they responded that the hose will tolerate up to 180F.
Yes but did they say whether is still safe to use the water for consumption? my guess is likely not...

I have some of these hoses and they are lined with a plastic which feels almost like it has silicone properties...I though about removing the out covering and using it as as a coolant /cooling jacket for my fermenters but found discharge hose works great.

Yes but did they say whether is still safe to use the water for consumption? my guess is likely not...

I have some of these hoses and they are lined with a plastic which feels almost like it has silicone properties...I though about removing the out covering and using it as as a coolant /cooling jacket for my fermenters but found discharge hose works great.

They did not specifically address that point. In my case I was contemplating using water from a tankless house water heater which would give me ~120F water to use for getting quicker up to strike/sparge temperatures. Then again these days with a good propane burner & additional immersion electric bucket heater I can heat up strike water pretty quickly. Probably not worth the risk...

They did not specifically address that point. In my case I was contemplating using water from a tankless house water heater which would give me ~120F water to use for getting quicker up to strike/sparge temperatures. Then again these days with a good propane burner & additional immersion electric bucket heater I can heat up strike water pretty quickly. Probably not worth the risk...

I hope you dont have copper plumbing in your house if it was built before 1986? Even if it is newer, if its copper theres still up to 8% lead in the solder and supposedly brass fittings.if so your whole dilemma is a moot point since the hot water extracts the lead form the solder... which is why the CDC and the like all advise to not drink or cook from your hot tap water...

My tankless water heater actually says "not for potable water" on the side...

It likely wont kill you but its a lot more likely to hurt you than the hose would so worth mentioning.

I hope you dont have copper plumbing in your house if it was built before 1986? Even if it is newer, if its copper theres still up to 8% lead in the solder and supposedly brass fittings.

Thanks for the warning, as our house was built in the 1990s and doesn't have copied piping that should hopefully not be a concern.

Back