California Common Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violinguy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've been around here, but I'm still making beer and I'm about to brew a CA Common. I did a bunch of research and put together a (hopefully) good recipe. I'll be brewing a 3-gallon recipe, BIAB, with NortherBrewer and Cluster hops, and Wyeast 1056. If all goes according to plan, I'll have an OG of 1.051, 41 IBU, and just under 5% abv.

A specific question I have is ferment time. For 3 gallons (I use a 6 gallon big mouth) I usually go for 9-10 days given the yeast and head room. Is that good for this style or should I bump it up to 14-ish days?

Also, I'm planning a 60 minute mash at 154. From what I've read that seems normal for this style.

Anything else I need to know? I usually brew pale ales and IPAs, and my last batch was a spiced oatmeal stout. Thanks!

Since you are using an ale yeast the ferment time will be the same as what you are used to. The extra time will allow the yeast to clean up a bit and settle out more. For this style you should consider using the Wyeast 2112 and allowing the beer to age several weeks after the fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back