California Beer Roadtrip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulud

Reaction score
so I apparently turn 30 this year, SWMBO is effin amazing and had secretly hid money from me and told me we are going to Cali for my 30th cause I really wanted to visit my grandparents (who are 93 and 90). So we are flying into SF and then gonna work our way down to SD. I need to know breweries along the way that I CANNOT miss out on.

I know for sure I am hitting up Russian River to start, end with Stone and in between for sure going back to Golden Road and Beachwood BBQ.

LMK where else I HAVE to visit. :mug:

IMO, other must see's in San Diego would include Ballast Point and the White Labs' taproom.

Agree with Lagunitas. And, while you are there.. about 10 miles north is Russian River (Pliny the Elder).. and another 10 miles gets you to Bear Republic (Racer 5, etc). Numerous breweries in Sonoma County. Many new.. and the old timers so well known. Must be the water :)

Lagunitas has tours and there is a good variety of beers to taste during the tour.. free of course.

I would highly recommend Firestone in Paso Robles. Its on the way south on HWY 101. I wouldn't take HWY 5 south from SF if I were in your shoes. You would miss out on a lot of stuff on the way. Take 101.

May I also add Heretic Brewing. Their beer is awesome also IMO. They are in Fairfield, so if your going to go north to Russian River you should hit them up as well.

When are you going? Right now as I type San Diego and Escondido are burning terribly. Granted Stone is totally worth a little smoke. Their beer list is amazing.

If you do stop in Firestone PM me and I can add in a few smaller brew pubs in my area. I'm about 10 min from Firestone. There is also Molly Pitcher, a small brewpub, and Barrelhouse Brewing. Both of which are good in my area.

Bear Republic, Russian River, Lagunitas, Mendocino (although that's a little further north) and 21st Amendment (in SF). You also have a few smaller ones such as SCHUBROS in San Ramon, Black Diamond in Concord.
You can't go wrong here. Enjoy!
:mug:

If you're into their beers, The Bruery is a great stop. They don't do IPA, of course, so if you're mainly a hophead it won't be your cup of tea...

If you've never done the drive, Hwy 1 through Big Sur is AMAZING. It will take much longer than the 101 or 5, but it's simply something that you need to do once in your life.

I've been seeing awesome brewery recommendations but if you are heading to Santa Rosa (Sonoma & Napa Valleys) or Pasa Robles you'd be crazy not to spend some time wine tasting too. Plan on driving down the coast through Big Sur from Monetary to Pasa Robles, it will be slow going but worthwhile. Get a reservation for one of the tours through Hearst Castle in San Simeon and tour the Monetary Bay Aquarium if you can spare the time.

If you're into their beers, The Bruery is a great stop. They don't do IPA, of course, so if you're mainly a hophead it won't be your cup of tea...

If you've never done the drive, Hwy 1 through Big Sur is AMAZING. It will take much longer than the 101 or 5, but it's simply something that you need to do once in your life.

Totally agreed! I camp there in Big Sure EVERY YEAR and have for the last 7 and MAN what a time.... It is TOTALLY worth the 11 hour round trip. THe views are amazing as is the BUZZ of the area.

THAT IS 1 KILLER WOMAN!!! KEEP HER FOR SURE!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks everyone! I will be planning it tonight when I get home from work. I hope most of these mentioned have weekday hours.

Here in Ga most breweries tasting rooms are usually wed-sat with sweetwater having a Sunday and Monday night brewing having a Monday

Alpine is solid. If you have thine time Kern River is awesome, but about 1 hr off the 5 before the grapevine heading south...but awesome place, solid beers. Green Flash is also worth going to

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 for White Labs & Stone; do not miss either one. Plan to eat lunch or dinner in the Stone Bistro -- what a beautiful setting! Firestone Walker Brewery in Paso Robles is right on the way south. You can see it from highway 101. I like their 805 golden/blonde ale.

Just in case you weren't aware... Stone now has a second brewery IN San Diego. Its at Liberty Station in Point Loma. And its pretty much just as cool as the one up in Escondido so either one that more conveniently fits into your road trip should do.

Also if your in San Diego go check out the Home Brew Mart on Linda Vista Rd. Its run by Ballast Point Brewery and there's an awesome tasting bar there.

I'd also recommend Alesmith, and Societe Brewing comp.

Agree with Lagunitas. And, while you are there.. about 10 miles north is Russian River (Pliny the Elder).. and another 10 miles gets you to Bear Republic (Racer 5, etc). Numerous breweries in Sonoma County. Many new.. and the old timers so well known. Must be the water :)

Lagunitas has tours and there is a good variety of beers to taste during the tour.. free of course.

This. I am from Healdsburg myself and there are some damn good breweries in Sonoma County. You can also hit North Coast (Old Rasputin) in Fort Bragg, Lost Coast in Eureka if you care to go further north. Then you can come back down into Sonoma County for Russian River, Bear Republic, and Lagunitas before working your way down to SD.

If you go to Russian River, walk around the corner to Third Street. Make sure to hit Lagunitas.

If you are in SF, check out SpeakEasy.

If you come through Santa Cruz (Highway 1), South of San Jose and like Belgian beers check out Sante Adarius.

I'd do Bear Republic, RR & Lagunitas for sure. 21st Amendment in SF is pretty cool. I'd strongly recommend Sante Adairius Rustic Ales. Very cool nano brewery in Capitola (Santa Cruz County). There isn't a lot between Big Sir and LA. Firestone Walker is in Paso Robles but is kind of out of your way if you go the Big Sir rout. I've never been to Firestone but their beer is great. I'll let the Southern CA folks chime in on what's good down there. Guarantee you will love Sante Adarius. There is a good chance that the owner/brewmaster will pour your beer.

Be sure to stop by the Palm Springs area (my hometown) and check out Coachella Valley Brewing and La Quinta Brewing, then relax by the pool with a growler.
But I'm in SD now, sooo many solid spots here. A few of my favorites are: modern times, Hess, ballast point, green flash, Helm's, Coronado, stone. I like PB alehouse... It's nothing too special, but near my place, It's near the beach, the house lineup is solid IMO, and always lovely ladies working there

Someone mentioned 21st Amendment in SF. Be sure to hit up their "cousin" Magnolia Brew Pub in the Haight. Magnolia and 21st team up for theme beer events - Strong Beer Month each Feb. for one. Some cask conditioned offerings and they usually have hard to find out of region/state/country beers on tap.

In San Luis Obispo, near Paso Robles, is a regional brewery called Tap It. They have a small tasting room and a wide selection of brew styles. I haven't had one I didn't like yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thought I was gonna map it out last night but it'll probably be done tonight instead. I also forgot to mention I will be stopping by Golden Road and Beachwood BBQ (I've been to these before but I always have to visit these when in southern Cali)

Yes to all the suggestions, including, and importantly, taking the 101 south toward SoCal rather then the 5. The 1 (as suggested) is absolutely one of the most majestic drives on earth, but if time is an issue, stick to the 101.

One suggestion that is an absolute MUST, amazing and unique experience, drinking world class sours and barrel aged beers, is the Barrelworks in Buelton. It's Firestone Walkers Sour and barrel age facility and it's about 1:45hr south of the Paso tasting room/main brewery. Do not miss it. I promise it'll be one of the highlights of your trip.

PM me if you're going there. I'll meet ya. And I can also steer ya toward the right brewery experiences in Santa Barbara as well.

Yes to all the suggestions, including, and importantly, taking the 101 south toward SoCal rather then the 5. The 1 (as suggested) is absolutely one of the most majestic drives on earth, but if time is an issue, stick to the 101.

One suggestion that is an absolute MUST, amazing and unique experience, drinking world class sours and barrel aged beers, is the Barrelworks in Buelton. It's Firestone Walkers Sour and barrel age facility and it's about 1:45hr south of the Paso tasting room/main brewery. Do not miss it. I promise it'll be one of the highlights of your trip.

PM me if you're going there. I'll meet ya. And I can also steer ya toward the right brewery experiences in Santa Barbara as well.

Barrelworks is probably the best brewery-related experience I've ever had. If you like sours and perk up at the phrase, "bourbon barrel aged," you absolutely have to go there.

I'll also second the suggestions of:
Russian River
Bear Republic
Lagunitas (their smoked pork nachos are incredible)
The Bruery
Stone

Additionally, I'll say that if you're going to Stone Escondido, hit up Lost Abbey in San Marcos. Excellent West Coast beers under the Port Brewing label and amazing Belgian stuff under the Lost Abbey label.

In your original post you mention going to Golden Road and Beechwood. They don't get mentioned a lot, but both are fantastic. Good food and great beer at both breweries. They're both seriously underrated.

If you do head down Highway 1 from Santa Cruz, stop in Marina at English Ales brewery - they have some nice offerings, and also they do burgers and fish & chips there.

In Monterey itself, there is Peter B's brewpub on Alvarado Street, and a new one that just opened at the opposite end of the street called Alvarado Street Brewing and Grill. Haven't been in there yet but from what I've seen and heard, it's a good place to go.

If you're interested in wineries in the Monterey/Carmel Valley area let me know. There are a LOT of really good ones.

Santa Cruz is definitely worth a stop. Some of my favorite breweries in town are:

We also have a ton of taprooms, including:

Once you've drank your fill around here, you can head south and cut over to Highway 101 at Castroville, or continue down to Monterey and use Highway 68.

If the timing works out, you could even hit the Hop and Barley Festival in Scotts Valley on June 28-29!

Back