Calculating Sparge temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to get my process down and one thing that continues to have a question mark over it is the sparge temps. My software has a single default for all mash profiles, but you can configure it a million ways. It seems from looking around, for fly sparging most people stick with a steady 175F, but for batch sparging I've been told everything from 165F to 200F. Knowledge of heat exchange would tell me that every batch could be different based on mash temp & heat loss over mash, volume, grain weight etc... So how do most of you arrive at a sparge temp? Do you fly sparge or batch sparge and do you always use the same temp (if so what temp?) or do you calculate it each time? Is there some sort of simple calculator that helps?

IMO it's not all that important. I just like to see the mash at 160-170 when I'm (batch) sparging. I like the water to be 180F but 175-185 water seems to work just fine for me. If you don't mash out you could use hotter water.

Latest posts

Back