Calculating dry hop IBUs in Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackInBlack

Reaction score
Is there any way to get Beersmith to calculate my IBUs when I'm going to dry hop in the secondary? Every time I enter my hops as "dry hop," the IBU ratings in the recipe disappear. Thanks for any info.

No IBU's are imparted unless there is heat! You have your understanding of hops all confused.

The Alpha oils and acids from the hop require heat to isomerize them into the beautiful bitter that we so love to enjoy. Without heat, the acids just don't go into solution.

However, the Beta acid do go solute in alcohol and give us those lovely aromas and flavanoids. Just no bittreness. Unfortunately, these acid are more volitile than the Alpha acids and tend to get scrubbed out during the boil whereas the Alpha get yanked out, twisted about, and locked in.

Extraction of Beta acids is what dry hopping is all about. And there is currently no extraction measure for that.

Thanks for the lesson. I haven't done much studying on the chemistry of brewing yet, so this is very helpful.

Back