cacao nibs & coffee additions for 'golden' stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewstergalVT

Reaction score
I've read some threads, including the one for a Master of Disguise clone.

I'm looking for any advise on adding cacao nibs & coffee to the whirlpool. I know many do both in the secondary but I'm not interested in doing that.

I did a Schwarzbier with coffee last month and was happy with the results by adding 5oz of ground coffee at about 180F during the chilling. All the oils blew off during fermentation and no issues with head retention so that's why I'm looking at doing something similar for a golden stout.

Here are my questions:
1) Has anyone just added whole beans to the end of the boil to get coffee flavor & aroma without the color? If so, did it work (flavor & no color)?
2) If adding ground coffee to the end of the boil in a pale colored beer, at what amount do you start to get noticeable color? I don't want to go beyond amber.
3) Is it better to grind or keep whole cacao nibs if I'm using them at the end of the boil? I figured I'd just use 2oz in a 5 gallon batch. Any idea on how much color they would give ground vs. whole at that amount? More or less color ounce for ounce as coffee? I've never used them.

Any advise based on what has or hasn't worked for you would be greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back