C02 Leak Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavlovsdog

Reaction score
Beautiful Mountains of Western North Carolina
So, I have a leak in my keg system somewhere. I sprayed everything down with soapy water, and found no bubbles after close inspection. I know there must be a leak somewhere, I can ever so slightly hear the C02 constantly dispensing, and of course, my C02 is gone after about 2 days. However, before force carbing my beer (the old set it at 30 psi and shaking it), I set it to about 10 psi and let it cool in the kegerator unattached from the C02 canister. The next morning, I released the C02, and it sounded like it was all still in there. I guess I should have reattached the hose and checked the pressure in the regulator, but at the time I didn't know I had a leak.

So, question 1: does this indicate a problem with the regulator or one of the lines, rather than the keg?

question 2: I have a nearly full keg of beer, that was force carbonated about 2 months ago, then lost all pressure, and has been sitting in a cold kegerator. I assume this beer is still good, just needs to be recarbed?

question 3: my O-rings all look alright, but would it be worth while to change them out?

Anyways, thank you all in advance for responses. I am so happy to have found this place, and sincerely appreciate the collective knowledge and kindness of you all.

hey man, so i've run into this sort of problem a few times where i had really slow leaks.

first time - the large o-ring on the corny lid didn't form a good seal for some reason. taking it off and putting it on again seemed to fix it
second time - make sure the pressure relief valve is screwed onto the lid very tightly.

the last time this happened to me, it was because i wasn't clamping the hose to the gas-in tight enough (i was using plastic push on clamps). i didn't see it by spraying it with water, but had a feeling that was the culprit. so i dunked it in a glass of water, and sure enough there were bubbles. i bought some metal screw on clamps and problem solved.

hope it helps. it always sucks to come home to an empty co2 tank :(

tighten, re-tighten, and then retighten everything again. It's a pain in the ass to find and fix a leaky CO2 connection. but once it's fixed it should not give you any more problems.

Latest posts

Back