BYO Vermont Recipes from Oct 2013 Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Does anyone have this issue and wouldn't mind taking a pic of the pages and posting them?

I lapsed on my subscription and missed this issue.

I'd like to see what they posted from Hill Farmstead and Lawsons.

Thanks in advance!

Ben

I would like to know as well.

Sent from my XT1034 using Home Brew mobile app

Lindsay,

Thanks s much for sending the whole article. May have to mail you my clone attempt after I brew it!

Lawsons, Hill Farm and the Alchemist.

If anyone can hop their beer the way Lawson does, please share the technique. I've tried hopping a 100 different ways and I can't get it to resemble his. His beer is so very bright.

There is a thread over on Beer Advocate where someone posted photos of the Double Sunshine recipe if anyone is looking for that. It seems like that one is the only recipe that is pretty much the real deal.

here they are:

heady topper.jpg

holey moley.jpg

everett.jpg

abner.jpg

double sunshine.jpg

I did the Heady clone with yeast cultivated from 2 cans and it came out pretty fantastic. Big DIPA but highly drinkable (not face meltingly bitter) and peachy/citrusy. Doing a side by side with the real thing this coming weekend in all likelihood. I love it, my brew buddies love it.

Hey Malty Dog...did you follow the step in the recipe for the Polyclar addition? Just curious if you did, and if so, do you think it was beneficial? Thanks.

Hey Malty Dog...did you follow the step in the recipe for the Polyclar addition? Just curious if you did, and if so, do you think it was beneficial? Thanks.
Nope I didn't add the polyclar. Heady is so cloudy I thought "what's the point?" :D I have a couple left which I plan on growing the yeast from (also a can of real HT) for an upcoming IPA. Really hoping that citrus comes through again.

Nope I didn't add the polyclar. Heady is so cloudy I thought "what's the point?" :D I have a couple left which I plan on growing the yeast from (also a can of real HT) for an upcoming IPA. Really hoping that citrus comes through again.

I would guess the point of clarifying is that when yeast flocculate, they tend to have many hop compounds stuck to them. So if possible, it's best to have the beer brite before dry hopping so that you get the most out of the hops. Otherwise, you'll lose some hop aromas.

Ipa's of course need to be served fresh, but kettle additions fade much less quickly than dry hops do. So I isually do a regular 2-week (temp controlled) fermentation and then dry hop for 4-5 days. That way, most of the yeast is at the bottom and the dry hops can really shine... And even though it'll get to the keg a few days later, I don't think that makes a huge difference for the knockout hops.

I would guess the point of clarifying is that when yeast flocculate, they tend to have many hop compounds stuck to them. So if possible, it's best to have the beer brite before dry hopping so that you get the most out of the hops. Otherwise, you'll lose some hop aromas.

Ipa's of course need to be served fresh, but kettle additions fade much less quickly than dry hops do. So I isually do a regular 2-week (temp controlled) fermentation and then dry hop for 4-5 days. That way, most of the yeast is at the bottom and the dry hops can really shine... And even though it'll get to the keg a few days later, I don't think that makes a huge difference for the knockout hops.

MD: I hear ya on the HT. Other than my first one ever (which you kind of have to pour into a glass, right??), I have dutifully followed the instructions on the can whenever I have been lucky enough to come by another one!

Showcow: Yeah, I was curious after reading the Jan-Feb BYO in which the VT Cult Clone author (Dave Green) responds to a reader's question about why/when to use the polyclar. My local circle of homebrewers/enthusiasts have all gone bonkers over the VT double IPAs, and we are trying to refine our methods as much as possible so we can recreate the magic at home!

Other than my first one ever (which you kind of have to pour into a glass, right??), I have dutifully followed the instructions on the can whenever I have been lucky enough to come by another one!
You're a better man than I! :mug:

I am OCD over needing to drink out of a glass.

I've got to brew that Abner sometime, sounds delicious. Or maybe cut out the corn sugar and scale it down to Edward size. Someday I might need to go to Vermont just to try these brews officially.

I've got to brew that Abner sometime, sounds delicious. Or maybe cut out the corn sugar and scale it down to Edward size. Someday I might need to go to Vermont just to try these brews officially.

Well worth the trip but I have to warn you, Hill Farmstead is SO FAR up there!

You should also wait until Alchemist opens their new shop, right now the brewery is closed. Should be opening the new place very soon though if it's not already open.

For those with BeerSmith, attached is a .bsmx file with the 6 Vermont beers from that issue of BYO. The recipes have been scaled to 70% efficiency based on my system versus the 65% BYO efficiency. Just import into BeerSmith and save it!

I currently have the Heady Topper clone in the keg. It is not Heady Topper, but is a decent DIPA! Has a little harshness too it, but overall a fan favorite with my friends. And FYI, I did use polyclar.

View attachment Vermont.bsmx

For those with BeerSmith, attached is a .bsmx file with the 6 Vermont beers from that issue of BYO. The recipes have been scaled to 70% efficiency based on my system versus the 65% BYO efficiency. Just import into BeerSmith and save it!

I currently have the Heady Topper clone in the keg. It is not Heady Topper, but is a decent DIPA! Has a little harshness too it, but overall a fan favorite with my friends. And FYI, I did use polyclar.

CHEERS!! Saved me quite a bit of time typing that in.

Anybody tried the Double Sunshine? I've got a pound of Citra in the freezer and am considering making this one.

I got a double sunshine-like clone bubbling away. Used dark brown sugar for the sugar addition and added a touch of c20 to it. Significantly upped the late additions.

I'll post back in a few weeks.

Hi all,
I'd be curious as well to hear how it goes for others...
The Double Sunshine Extract with Grains version in post #15 looks straightforward enough for me to try as one of my first attempts not straight from a kit. Could I do a partial boil in my 5gal kettle with this and add say 1/3 light LME at start of boil and 2/3 of the light LME with 15 mins left in the boil, but otherwise keep the recipe the same? I'm thinking I'd be boiling 3+ gals or so in addition to the 2gal of water that goes into the mash. Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi all,
I'd be curious as well to hear how it goes for others...
The Double Sunshine Extract with Grains version in post #15 looks straightforward enough for me to try as one of my first attempts not straight from a kit. Could I do a partial boil in my 5gal kettle with this and add say 1/3 light LME at start of boil and 2/3 of the light LME with 15 mins left in the boil, but otherwise keep the recipe the same? I'm thinking I'd be boiling 3+ gals or so in addition to the 2gal of water that goes into the mash. Thanks for any thoughts.

You can absolutely partial boil with the wash from the mash and some or none of the extract, then top off with water in the fermenter. You could just put all the extract in at the end of the boil if you wanted.

Keep in mind that the Vienna malt must be converted by a mash (it seems like you recognize that but I wasn't certain).

I brewed the HT all-grain recipe back on Oct 5 with some harvested Conan. I got 85% attenuation after 7 days and it was crystal clear by then already. I did the dry hops and am cold crashing now. I did not use Polyclar since it was so clear after fermentation.

I'll be brewing a modified version of the Abner extract recipe from that issue this weekend for Learn To Homebrew Day. I felt using the light liquid extract & caramalt steeping grains would make it way too dark compared to the real deal, so I'm going with 9lbs of extra light DME, .5lb of Crystal 20°L and .5lbs of wheat malt(for nice head). The dry hop schedule is crazy huge and will be awesome.

You can absolutely partial boil with the wash from the mash and some or none of the extract, then top off with water in the fermenter. You could just put all the extract in at the end of the boil if you wanted.

Keep in mind that the Vienna malt must be converted by a mash (it seems like you recognize that but I wasn't certain).

Weezy that sounds great, thanks! I definitely will mash the Vienna malt.

I typed the recipe into Brewers Friend to see what impact the boil size and late extract addition would have and it looks like I would need to drop the bittering hops down to .5oz from .75oz to keep the same IBUs. But if I understand other threads correctly, I wouldn't be able to detect the difference between those two amounts anyway (115 IBUs vs 130IBUs).

Anybody tried the Double Sunshine? I've got a pound of Citra in the freezer and am considering making this one.

I just did the DS clone. It's been in bottles for about a week and a half. I tried one at a week and it was still flat, but man, the taste was unbelievable. Really close to Lawson's Sunshine beers. Can't wait for them to finish conditioning. If I were you, I'd use the whole pound of Citra. I didn't have a full pound so I used 12 oz of Citra and added some Centennial and Amarillo in the hopstand and dry hop to get it to a full pound, and I'm glad I did. So much hoppy goodness!

Latest posts

Back