BYO Doppelbock recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaiser said:
I brewed mine on Saturday. I even got up at 5 to make sure that the brew-day doesn't interfer to much with the other family activities.
Doesn't everybody with small children get up around 5 anyways? ;)

I also doughed in with cold water, but not the night before as I had planned since we have May/June temperatures right now. I doughed in for 2hrs while I changed diapers and exchanged propane cylinders. I don't know what the end result of it all was, although my mash was extremely well hydrated and separated really nicely when I infused to my acid rest.

You can see from my grist above that I "chickened out" and included 20% Pilsner malt to ensure good enzymatic activity. It seemed to work well as my saccharification rest was only 15m before I got a mahogany/reddish iodine reaction. I also used a combination of 6L/10L Munich malts.

Since I ultimately collected on 5g of wort I'm not doing a satellite ferment...I'll just have to see where I get. I actually could have watered it down some since I had higher than expected efficiency, but there were some political pressures from within the homestead to wrap up the brewday after 6hrs.

I notice you guys have modeled your recipes after celebrator and optimator....my favortie, readily available dopplebock is Paulaner Salvator, which has almost no roast flavor and a very malty profile. How would you modify the recipe to produce a similar taste?

mjm76 said:
my favortie, readily available dopplebock is Paulaner Salvator, which has almost no roast flavor and a very malty profile. How would you modify the recipe to produce a similar taste?

I don't know. But I have noticed that Salvator has a very destinct aroma of sweetness. I got a similar aroma from Ayinger's Dunkel. Maybe its a 100% dark Munich grist. The lack of any roast seems to support that. I'm trying this right now.

Kai

mjm76 said:
I notice you guys have modeled your recipes after celebrator and optimator....my favortie, readily available dopplebock is Paulaner Salvator, which has almost no roast flavor and a very malty profile. How would you modify the recipe to produce a similar taste?
I see the Kaiser has weighed in and he's not a big fan of the roastiness in Doppelbocks, either. You might check out post #33 to see his recipe which includes only 0.5% Carafa. In any case, you won't want to use that 1/2# in the recipe you posted in the other thread, only an ounce or two.

SG is 1.035 and dropping (it was 1.040 Wednesday). It's taking its sweet time, but that's fine other than I need the fridge space. I would guess in a week or so I can rack it, sample, and start dropping the temp.

Baron von BeeGee said:
SG is 1.035 and dropping (it was 1.040 Wednesday). It's taking its sweet time, but that's fine other than I need the fridge space. I would guess in a week or so I can rack it, sample, and start dropping the temp.

See, if you had made a fast ferment test, you would know how far awy fom your target you are ;)

Kai

Kaiser said:
See, if you had made a fast ferment test, you would know how far awy fom your target you are ;)

Kai
That thought has definitely crossed my mind...OTOH, I only collected 5g of beer, and while that's just a number without any real significance, I didn't want to scavenge any for the satellite fermentation. I'll lose close to 1/2g from racking as it is! Plus, the suspense keeps me on the edge of my seat...

It finished at 1.027...a bit higher than I was hoping, but since I don't have a reference for this recipe and I mashed high to keep the FG up it seems okay. It tastes encouraging, as well, but now for the hard part.

Kegged this tonight...sample seems good, but compared side-by-side with a Celebrator and falls short of the mark. The Celebrator is much more complex, and good deal maltier/sweeter. I might need to up the CaraMunich to a full 2lbs, but I'll withhold final judgement until she's carb'ed up.

I kegged mine this past weekend as well. It finished at around 1.019. I figured with the double decoction it would be higher than normal. I am holding out to sample until this weekend, plus I need to find some Salvator to do a comparison...

jeffg said:
It finished at around 1.019. I figured with the double decoction it would be higher than normal.
You can get a dry finish with decoctions, it really depends on your rest temperatures and how long you're there. I did a decocted Hefeweizen that finished around 1.010. Your FG is probably due to the high OG and perhaps the length and temperature of your steps. I didn't take another reading on mine since I racked it, and it might have dropped a few points, but must still be pretty high. I'll probably go for a lower saccharification temperature next time, especially since I'll likely be upping the crystal portion of the grist.

So you were shooting for a Salvator type DB? What was your recipe?

Back