Buying (which?) Extracts in Bulk, and remain recipe-flexible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holst09

Reaction score
Extract at both of my local homebrew stores is starting to get pricier. Unfortunately, I do not have the will, or the space, to get into all grain brewing. Therefore, rather than pay 55-60 bucks per-batch (these places are pricey), I've decided to buy extract in bulk.

On Northern Brewer, a 50 pound bag of Briess golden light is 3$ per pound, whereas a 3 pound bag is 4$ per-pound, and a 1 pound bag is 5$ per pound.

Doing the math here, if you use 8 pounds of extract for a batch (2 separate 3-pound bags, and one single one-pound bag), you are saving 14$. I estimate that I'll be doing beers for 25-35% cheaper by buying extract in bulk.
. I do two five gallon batches every season (to keep it "seasonal"). So roughly 8 batches a year. I figure, I'll be saving around 130$ a year by buying extract in-bulk.

However, herein lies the issue: I don't want to hamstring myself by buying 50 pounds of Briess Light, only to realize that virtually (this is all hypothetical) no brown ales, or, perhaps, stouts, use that extract. I've done a bit of research and those types of beers' extract bill all varies greatly. Another example: I buy a 50 pound bag of dark dry malt extract, but thus am unable to use that for fruity beers during the summer. See the issue?

Thus, I'm at an impasse. The way I see it, I either need to....

(A) bite the bullet and get into all-grain (but I don't have a grinder at home...)

(B) just come to peace with the fact that my local shops are more expensive, or just buy everything online...and get the yeast locally. I see this as sub-optimal. I'd either be paying premium for premade-recipes or paying premium for one-off recipes I design (higher cost per pound of extract).

(C) Select an extract that is flexible, and search for recipes that use that extract. However, that would hinge on folks here helping me choose a flexible extract.

Do you do extract only, or do you steep grains?

With steeping grains, Briess Golden Light is very flexible. You can use it for the base of almost any kind of American or British brown, stout, pale, mild/bitter/ESB, IPA, Irish Red, etc.

You couldn't use it for wheat beers. It's probably not the best choice for most lagers, but could still work. If you were picking one extract, then I think Golden Light is the best all around choice anyway!

You would need to reseal it when you use it to keep it fresh and dry.

Do you do extract only, or do you steep grains?

With steeping grains, Briess Golden Light is very flexible. You can use it for the base of almost any kind of American or British brown, stout, pale, mild/bitter/ESB, IPA, Irish Red, etc.

You couldn't use it for wheat beers. It's probably not the best choice for most lagers, but could still work. If you were picking one extract, then I think Golden Light is the best all around choice anyway!

You would need to reseal it when you use it to keep it fresh and dry.

I always steep grains. I don't think I've done a beer where I haven't done so. This sounds great, though. How sure are you on the stout thing? Most stout recipes I see call for dark extract or pale malt.

I always steep grains. I don't think I've done a beer where I haven't done so. This sounds great, though. How sure are you on the stout thing? Most stout recipes I see call for dark extract or pale malt.

I am 100% certain. Golden Light is 3 degrees lovibond, which is pretty light (only pilsen extract is lighter at 2 degrees). It is mostly 2-row malt with 1% carapils.

Stout recipes that call for dark extract assume that you want to do an all extract recipe, so it's already dark. If you're going to steep, then you can use Golden Light as the base, and steep grains to get you the color and roasty flavors you want.

My 2.5 gallon extract stout is:

2 lbs Light DME
6 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Crystal 80L
4 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Black Patent Malt

Many would say that you don't need 3 kinds of dark roast malts. I always have found my stouts on the boring side, so it's been a while.

As a comparison, Briess Traditional Dark is Munich, base (2-row), Crystal 60, and black patent. The Special Dark is base, wheat, C60, and roasted barley (more appropriate for a stout than the Traditional). They also make Porter, which is pretty much ready to boil and add hops.

You can read about them on www.brewingwithbriess.com. They have technical information, and they also have recipes that you can filter based on what product you want to use.

Pilsen or Golden Light make a good base for a variety of styles. If you make light, crisp beer in the summer, like a cream ale, then pilsen would be a better choice. I have had good results with both.

If you tend to brew pales and darker beers, then they do have a pale ale extract that could also work as the base for many beers. I have never used that one. I only use Pilsen, Golden Light, or Bavarian Wheat extracts.

Also, take a look at labelpeelers.com. They have frequent (almost always) sales on extract. Right now, they have 3# bags for $8.34, which comes in less than the Northern Brewer price, but it depends on shipping costs.

Ha - I just followed BrewerE's link, and it is Label Peelers! Great minds... at $113 for a 50# bag, that's 2.26 per pound. They're giving it away.

I bought a couple of 3# bags not too long ago (weeks), and it was a little more then. This sale is very good. I pick up in store, so again, watch the shipping costs.

Williams Brewing sells four 8 pound pouches of light extract for $53.99. That could be an advantage since they're individually sealed.

If you go all grain BIAB you can buy milled base grains for less than $2 per pound. It does not require much more equipment than with extract.

When I do extract I use extra light DME and get color and malt flavors from steeping grains.

The Williams brewing maltextracts are very, very good. Once a year Williams discounts their malt for a few days. Their Belgian pale ale, English brown, and American red extracts are very good and make tasty beers. I like to 'slum it' occasionally and just do a quick extract batch with their malts instead of fiddling with the usual all grain recipe. The next time the sale comes around I'm going to get some stout malt and more belgian pale and American red malt.

If you go all grain BIAB you can buy milled base grains for less than $2 per pound. It does not require much more equipment than with extract.

When I do extract I use extra light DME and get color and malt flavors from steeping grains.

What brand of extra light extract?

Depending on your location, shipping would be $25-35, which would be under $3 a pound. And usually you can add on some other stuff without the shipping going crazy, so in the big picture, you're saving money on shipping as well.

Seriously, I know you have reservations about what kind, but if you are planning on doing this, now is the time, before that price goes back up to $200 for the 50 pound bag. Pils or Golden Light - do it!

You don't have your location listed (!), but look for bulk grain/group buys in your area. A local brewery may be another source.

We get Briess DME 50# bags for around $110 delivered, that's $2.20 a pound. If you repackage the bag into 3-6 pound batches in ziplock bags, and double bag those, it will last for years. Squeeze all the air out. Moisture is the big enemy. Even partially used (ziplocked) bags will last for years. I have proof of that. Just seal them well and store in a cool, dry, and clean environment.

I'd use the lightest, Pilsen Light, or if that's not available, Golden Light. As said before, you can brew almost any beer with those using specialty malts or partial mash (using a large pot in the oven).

But even if you would want to do (BIAB) all-grain at some point, your DME is great for making starters or make up some deficiency in gravity last minute. Brewing all-grain takes a bit more time and effort, but using 100% grain is cheaper per batch and the end results can surpass extract brews.

All grain is definitely cheaper per batch, if you have easy access to a mill. I have 3 stores that will grind it for you. At one, I do it myself and usually double mill. Label Peelers only sells in full pounds, which is trickier because you can't just grind a whole recipe together at once.

I was looking at the cost for buying a 50 pound bag of base malt plus buying a decent mill. It would take a long time to recoup the expense of the mill, I think.

I buy golden light in bulk and brew everything from golden ales to coffee stouts. Steeping grains give you the flexibility to do so.

Latest posts

Back