Buying used corny kegs. What to look for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadGuyNick

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm kind of in a rush and a quick search didn't yield me any answers. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a couple of used corny kegs that I found off of craigslist. They look like they're in great shape, come with extra o-rings, and the guy says they hold pressure.

What should I look for when I'm inspecting these? This'll be my first step into kegging, I know very little.

Ask him to pressurize the kegs for you so you can look for leaks. Shine a flashlight inside and make sure nothing has rusted.

Look for dents on the inside, make sure the handles aren't falling off, take a 7/8" 12 point wrench with you, check all posts and poppets in posts for seals and rust, hold dip tube and c02 inlet tube up to a light and see if you can see any rust inside them.

Does anyone have a good source for a keg component break down, so I know what parts to check?

Back