Buying bulk hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyindaburgh

Reaction score
So I am getting ready to start brewing 5 gallon batches with grain. I really like pale ales, which is good since they look like some of the easiest to brew. I just got in on a group buy for my grains, pbw and starsan. Question though is should I buy my hops in bulk and store in freezer or just buy as I need them? Or buy a larger amount of smaller packs to save on shipping? By the way, I don't have a vacuum sealer, yet.

I buy by the pound. It's significantly cheaper.

I don't have a vacuum sealer. I just keep them in the freezer and use multiple freezer bags with as much air squeezed out as possible. Never had any problems. I've stored some for several years.

I would wait for the 2014 crop the be available and buy some bulk hops. There is some on Yakimavalleyhops but its only whole leaf and only some types are available.

Also id get a vacuum sealer. I have one and i use it a lot more than just sealing hops. Its worth getting IMO.

i buy mine by the pound from the hop shack it is amazingly cheap that way

I buy from NikoBrew.com and they have flat rate shipping. You can buy five pounds of hops and the shipping is the same as if you bought half a pound. :) They usually have a sale here and there, I'm sure it won't be long before they have 2013 crop on sale to make room for 2014!

When resealing opened hops, you can also flush with CO2 if you have a kegging system.

Bulk hops are fun. Cheaper and you "never" run out. If also going for a vacuum sealer then you can sous vide food in you MT, which takes all your dishes to the next level of cooking.

I am thinking about starting with some different SmaSh brews to figure out the tastes and what I like. I have a full sack of 2row and marris otter on the way! Maybe go with 4 oz or so per kind till I know what I like and how they taste. Same with the base malts.

You can brew SMaSH, or simple pale ales. I tried SMaSHes, Maris Otter and Cascade, then Columbus, for my first all grain brews. They were okay, but after that I used proven recipes, like Centennial Blonde and Bee Cave Haus Pale. Look up some of the craft brews that you like, find out what hops are in them, find similar recipes, even clones. Study, brew, learn, repeat. It worked for me.

I buy from NikoBrew.com and they have flat rate shipping. You can buy five pounds of hops and the shipping is the same as if you bought half a pound. :) They usually have a sale here and there, I'm sure it won't be long before they have 2013 crop on sale to make room for 2014!

This is where I get mine!!! Great prices and they have only been excellent to me!

I am thinking about starting with some different SmaSh brews to figure out the tastes and what I like. I have a full sack of 2row and marris otter on the way! Maybe go with 4 oz or so per kind till I know what I like and how they taste. Same with the base malts.

I buy my hops in the 4 oz packs from www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com. I usually brew 1 or 3 gallon batches and 4 oz lasts me a while. Plus I can buy several varieties to play with.

Just placed my order from YVH!

1lb of each:
Citra
Columbus
Centennial
Amarillo

.5lb of:
Mosaic
Galaxy

Id say I'm set for a while- I've been super impressed with YVH's product, customer service, shipping speed, and prices. I used to buy from Hops Direct, but their shipping and inconsistent inventory turned me away.

Back