buying a pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker111

Reaction score
Hi brewers. I am going to buy a pump soon as I upgraded a lot of my system with a chiller and new hoses.
I do 10 gallon batches and have used gravity for sparge and s submersible pump with a IC for cooling.
Looking to spend around 200-275 CDN.
Narrowing down to a riptide or a chugger. Going with metal for hose barb hookup sections.
Any advice?
thanks

I have two of the Mark II 25 watt pump with ss head, works great for my 10 gallon BIAB setup, very quiet and less than 100 dollars US

I have a chugger and I am very happy with it. I bought it used as part of a package of stuff. Before I found that deal, I was all but set on a Riptide. The chugger isn't necessarily loud, but it is not nearly as quiet as the Riptide.

I’ve had a March for 5+ years and it still performs well, but, I was gifted a Riptide which gave me a reason to expand my system to include a HERMS along with my CFC whirlpool without having to do a lot of connects/disconnects.
The Riptid is quiet, easy to clean since you an remove the entire head with one clamp, has a built in switch, has a vent (wear gloves), etc.!

I had a chugger and now have a riptide. Hands down go with the riptide.

1-TC cleaning of the head rather than screws that can strip over time
2-Much quieter
3-built in flow control instead of needing an extra valve
4-air purge built in
5-on/off switch on the body of the pump so you can leave it plugged in
6- TC head advantage again, you can rotate it to any angle

I think that about covers it

I just did my first couple brews on the new system and the Riptide is whisper quiet compared to the March pump I used previously. The built in valve is also awesome

I have two of the Mark II 25 watt pump with ss head, works great for my 10 gallon BIAB setup, very quiet and less than 100 dollars US

I have one of these and can’t hear it running. I think great for the price. Not sure if it will be good for most applications. I use it to push wort through plate chiller into carboy. Does the job in less than 3min. Very happy with it.

Back