Butter Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blascar

Reaction score
So here is a new one... I fill up my primary bucket with water and Starsan about 15 mins prior to finishing my boil and drop my wort chiller in to give it a good sanitizing. Place the bucket in its normal spot (on the ground below the microwave). 15 mins later my boil is done; so I put in my aroma hops and walk the wort inside. I look over at my roommate who is looking at his bag of popcorn with a confused look on his face.. I don't think much of it until I go to grab my wort chiller and find my bucket and wort chiller covered in.... yep, popcorn butter. I freak out a little considering there probably isn't anything worse you could let get in your bucket since butter is impossible to get off things. I couldnt continue with what had happened but luckily I had room in my keezer to chill the wort and used a bottling bucket to pitch. Let's hope I screwed that spigot on tight or we're gonna need new hardwood.

That sucks- good move not getting it into your beer. Diacetyl is created by yeast when they're unhappy and it gives a nasty butter flavor. EXACTLY the same compound is used to flavor butter popcorn. You would have been mighty unhappy.

Back