Butter beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whosaid

Reaction score
I've been pondering the idea of using butter flavour extract during my brewing process to add that buttery flavour. Will this work out in my favour?

There is a traditional butter, IIRC there is a good thread here on it. An extract is probably going to be diacetyl. This compound is made as part of the brewing process and is considered a major flaw in beer...and is disgusting if there is enough to be obvious. Adding it to your beer will not give you a happy Harry Potter experience...check out the traditional way though.

Use ringwood yeast, it is notorious for diacetyl. As long as you don't let it get out of control (taste the beer during fermentation and rack it off if it gets to be too much), you should get the results you want. Personally, I like a little diacetyl in certain english style beers.

How about butterscotch flavor and just call it butter beer? Southern Tier does a butterscotch-y beer thats pretty interesting.

Well I've been researching and it looks like you were right about most commercial butter flavours containing Diacetyl, i have found this : Imitation Butter Flavor which is said to be maid of : a mixture of water, propylene glycol, artificial flavor, and FD&C yellow 5. If I added this at secondary would it negatively affect my brew? What about well I'm boiling my wort? Thanks for the insight.

Latest posts

Back