Butt load of hops; Dump everything in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully896

Reaction score
I've read a lot of threads with different opinions on whether or not to dump everything in your fermentation vessel. Some say they can't tell any differences, while others say they can (as is with most "technique" debates).

But what about in a specific situation of using a TON of hops at flameout or whirlpool additions? Has anyone tried both methods of just dump everything in, or filtering out before? Any noted differences?

I realize a TON of hops may be subjective, but let's assume roughly 4-5G batch, and 6oz (or more) at flameout/whirlpool.

I think its good practice to try and get clear wort into the fermenter.

Main thing you need to account for is losses...if you're dumping everything in and then adding say dry hops or adjuncts your losses are going to increase and final product will decrease...take that into consideration and you shouldn't have a problem...don't and you could be like me last batch of dry hop IPA and have 4.5 gallons instead of 5.

I dump it all in, even IPAs. I do, however, brew 6 gallon batches to yield 5 gallons in the keg, so some extra hops and trub in the fermenter doesn't affect my planned yield.

That's funny, 6oz of hops at flame out seems like a normal amount to me now, definitely not a TON... Ah NEIPA's, what have you done to me?...

I've done plenty of batches with 6oz at FO. I've tossed them straight into the kettle and used a SS hop spider. I haven't noticed any flavor differences, but I prefer the hop spider simply because my pump is less likely to clog and the transfer to the carboy is quicker.

I've tried many different methods to manage trub. Spiders, hop bags, hop blocker and a filter. I've finally settled on a whirlpool set up. It works great for everything except whole hops.

While I'm sure off flavours are possible as had been said it is mostly about yield. It is best practice to try and leave behind the unwanted parts in each process if you can. Collecting clear extract during the sparge means less rubbish in the copper. Collecting clear wort from the copper means less rubbish in the fermenter. I use a plate chiller so I get the cold break in the fermenter which always looks more alarming than it actually is, it compacts down to almost nothing. Dumping all the trub (and hops especially) into the fermenter is kind of extreme though.

That's funny, 6oz of hops at flame out seems like a normal amount to me now, definitely not a TON... Ah NEIPA's, what have you done to me?...

I've done plenty of batches with 6oz at FO. I've tossed them straight into the kettle and used a SS hop spider. I haven't noticed any flavor differences, but I prefer the hop spider simply because my pump is less likely to clog and the transfer to the carboy is quicker.

I guess it really only feels like a TON with respects to my wallet nowadays. But it has certainly changed since the NEIPA craze has come about. Especially when looking at the increase in experimentation, good or bad.

I have mixed emotions about this. I whirlpool to limit the amount of hops/trub going into the fermenter after I just dump them in the boil.

6 oz is in the neighborhood of what I add between late boil, FO and WP additions. What I end up with is about 80% left behind in the WP mound, 20% going into the fermenter.

I think, for NEIPAs (which I assume you're brewing here based on hop quantities), getting some of the WP hops in with the ferm increases the biotransformation since you not only dry hop while ferm is still active, you have some hops in there for the entire fermentation.

I've been really happy with my beers and they seem to hold their color, haze, flavor and aroma really well.

I'm pretty sold on the whirlpooling process with a side pickup for the kettle and hops just dumped in.

Latest posts

Back