Butane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougQ

Reaction score
I have a question, I live in Spain and I can't get propane here. They only use butane and I want to build my brew stand with 3 bayou classic bg14 burners. Can I do this and do I need a special regulator and hose to make this work?

I have thought about going electric but I live in town and I only have 220V hook ups.

You should be able to buy heating elements that are 220VAC. Most of them in the USA are 220VAC...

i just read a couple articles on propane vs butane. It looks like the burners are the same but the regulators are different. They have different boiling points thus pressures...So that's why the different regulator is required.
Just google Propane vs Butane and a bunch of information is available. I was just curious, and had to check it out.
In the USA butane is not as popular, it's used for cigarette lighters, mini torches, soldering irons..etc. Mostly little stuff as far as I know. Our portable grills, furnaces, stoves, etc. use propane or natural gas for fuel.

Well OK i finally figured it out. I went to my local hardware store and with some of my broken Spanish and some pictures I got everything I needed. I purchased a high pressure Butane regulator, hose, clamps and a high pressure fitting along with my original hose I received from Bayou classic (which needed a little modification). It took 6.5 gallons of water 38 minutes to boil at 212 Deg, ambient temp was 65 Deg and winds were 10 mph. I had to re-light three times. Here is a video of my setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it is not offered here in Spain, i am sure if i looked really hard i might find some. But Butane is everywhere.

Well this thread is a few months all but maybe if the op is interested I can tell you I live in Spain and there is propane, mostly bars and restaurants use it and you can get it easly in Spain, but butane it´s the main thing.

I live in Uruguay, here L.P. is propane/butane mixture (like in many other countries). The only diference is the regulator.
In fact, I use U.S. made burners and 50 mbar, made in Spain, regulators.

Back