Busy brewing before Thanksgiving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
Man, I have a busy schedule ahead of me. My wife doesn't mind my brewing (too much). Though, with three young kids (all under 6), taking up half a day to brew is often not desirable. That said, I had a couple of weeks of "free time" (as a result of the federal furlough) and did a fair amount of brewing recently.

Every year my wife's family rent a house on/near the beach and all get together for a week (or portions there of). This year my brother-in-law and his fiances are coming in to town from California the Saturday before and his fiance and my wife (and mother-in-law) are all going dress shopping Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. So my wife is taking all the kids out there on Saturday. I must go to work Monday and Tuesday...so I basically have 4 days to my self and likely a bunch of empty fermenters.

I have 2 gallons of caramel dry cider that is finishing up in the fermenter that I plan on bottling about a week out from Thanksgiving to give it some time to carbonate and bottle condition to take with me.

I have 3.75 gallons of Watermelon wheat I am bottling this Friday night.

I have 2.5 gallons of India Brown Ale I need to rack to my secondary next weekend, dry hop and then bottle the week after.

So all 3 of my carboys and my bucket will be free by the time my wife and kids are out of the house and 4 days before I have to drive out for the festivities.

I currently have the stuff to make 3.75G of a Belgian Dupple and 2.5G of a Roggenbier. That it. I feel like I need to get more stuff to brew. I am hoping once the watermelon wheat is out, that in a couple of weeks I can brew up the Dupple ahead of time.

That only leaves the Roggenbier to do the weekend I am home alone. Seems a shame to waste all that time and so little brewing.

I am going back and forth between just brewing up a Holiday Ale/Snakebite recipe I am planning and the Roggenbier I already have the stuff for. Or other options are adding in an APA I just put to paper (3.75G) and/or a (long form) Russian Imperial Oatmeal Coffee Milke Stout, 2.5G (phew. I am tired just typing that out), that I have been wanting to brew for a few months now.

Anyone else planning some serious brew time come the holidays? Whether it is because you are getting abandoned by your loved ones, want to brew away the season or just want to get a bunch of stuff ready before the Christmas/New Year holidays?

PS there will be 13 adults at Thanksgiving for me, for at least 3-4 days and at least half of them are beer drinkers. So I am planning on taking at least a case of my brews with me. I am considering two cases. I've got about 3 cases and half a case of bombers of assorted brews in the bottle right now and I'll probably have about 5 cases by Thanksgiving. Need to clean room out for the new brews to be bottled.

Back