Busters winter warmer:- Comments please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
Brew day is tomorrow, and despite playng with the idea of a no sparge ( see other threads) i have decided that coffee and red bull will have to surfice on saturday, so i'll be fly sparging this one.

I am a lover of youngs winter warmer, but not able to find a recipe.

The idea is to make something that is warming ( it does get extremely cold here around Christmas and the new year )

So i settled on this recipe and hope that someone might twaek it if they see it is wrong.

I am a little anxious regarding this after the possible bad batch on the last brew.

Its a 15 l brewlength,

4450 Pale
250 light crystal
50 black patent.
150 Wheat ( or torri as i don't remembered what i ordered. its only for head retention.....)

Hops.

5 g ( 7.0%)Challenger for 60
15g northdown(9.00%) for 60
15 g Challenger(7.0%) for 15
12 g Bobek (5.2%) for 5
10g Bobek(5.2% for 1

Protofloc and either Notinghem or Safeale 04 ( i don't think i have anything other that nottingham.

Based on what i hope to be a conservative guess at efficiency (70%) this should gve me an OG of 1072 ish an with the attenuation of Nottingham i would expect this might go as low as around the 1010 mark??

I intend to sparge slower than i have done before in the thought that maybe the flow was too fast last time i fly sparged.

Don't have the IBU in front of me but based on the IBU levels in beersmith a Winter Warmer should have between 0 and 70 so this is around middle of the tree at 33-35 as i recall

Brew evening tomorrow. any thoughts greatfully accepted ( cos you are all likely a damn site better than me)

Looks tasty to me. I might switch to a dark crystal if you have that on hand, I think its flavor goes well in a darker beer, but it will be fine as is. never tried Bobek hops, but the description (pine and lemon) sounds like a good match for a holiday beer. Good luck brewing.

Back