Burton ale yeast for NE Style IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cevans95

Reaction score
I have used the Wyeast London Ale III numerous times for my New England style juicy IPAs and they have come out great. My local homebrew shop was out so I decided to try the white labs Burton ale yeast. Just curious if anyone has tried this yet?

The WY1275 Thames Valley ale yeast packets were DOA in the 6G of Mumme I've got finishing up-albeit slowly. I & my son found Cleveland Brew Supply over in Ohio City, who only had White Labs yeast...in the new farmed in the packet stuff they're doing now. I used two of those packets of WL023 Burton ale yeast in the Mumme. It worked out quite well indeed with al the gruit herbs, spices & plant materials in the ale. That is to say, the yeast esters it produces fit right in. :rockin:

Why not try a Danstar Nottingham ale yeast ....., really neutral, lovely for a clean hop/malt taste without any yeasty overtones perfect in a New England IPA! and if you want the estery notes just make the initial fermentation warm and fast.

Back