Burning the grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quyzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried burning a part of the mash grains before mashing to get a bit of a burnt flavor in the beer? I'm going to make a porter next weekend and was thinking about putting a quarter pound or so of the 2-row in the oven to toast it until its slightly burnt. I'm curious if anyone has tried something like this before and how it came out.

Not intentional. Scorched on my heating element once. Tossed the batch!

Toasting in an oven before mashing to darken is fine. Burning may not be.

Burning sounds like a horrible idea. Have you had burnt peanuts, for example? They're terrible. I made pistachio ice cream and burnt the nuts when I was trying to roast them, horrible again. I know nuts aren't grains but I foresee a similar horrible taste.

Roasting your own malt though, that is a good idea. I just saw a BDG recipe that called for .25 home roasted malt in a 5 gallon batch. Not sure what it really added but it sounded good.

i toasted a pound of Maris Otter recently and used it in a couple different brews. I liked it enough that I plan on toasting some more. Can't say that burning sounds appetizing, though. Check this out, or Google for more info about home toasting/roasting grain: http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter20-4.html

Everyone says burning them is a really bad idea. I think I'll skip that. Great link about the toasting, going to give that a shot. Thanks

Back