Burner problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_9606.JPG

Can’t get blue flame, is this burner designed for natural gas or am I doing something wrong with the propane set up?

Unless I can't see it, there's no provision for combustion air. Needs a manifold with a mixer going into the burner.

View attachment 651582

Can’t get blue flame, is this burner designed for natural gas or am I doing something wrong with the propane set up?
On the left is a natural gas jet, on the right is a propane jet.
Edit: I just measured the natural gas orifices, 0.041", LP orifices 0.018" with high precision paperclips:yes:
The burner also requires a low pressure regulator.
20191107_114449.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the info!

So if I hook this burner up to a high pressure regulator it should give me blue flame?
(In the picture I had it hooked up to just a standard HomeDepot low pressure regulator)

Very likely, yes. The higher flow will draw in more mixing air.

Thanks again to all for your help.

I hooked up a high pressure regulator and the flame is much better (about 1/2 blue and 1/2 orange).

How can I get 100% blue flame?

Does sealing all the threaded connections help? As it would reduce the amount of gas leaking out.

The regulator is adjustable from 0-30psi and at all settings the flame is still only half blue.

Thank you for the info!

So if I hook this burner up to a high pressure regulator it should give me blue flame?
(In the picture I had it hooked up to just a standard HomeDepot low pressure regulator)
Did you determine what gas jets you have?
My burners run on low pressure <0.5 PSI
The yellow flame in the picture is a leaking jet at the threaded part before I fixed the problem.

50L_Mash_Burner-1.jpg

Back