Burner not fully igniting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
I brewed tonight.

I have an SQ-10 or SQ-14 (Don't remember) burner. It seemed like I had to crank it harder to get it to boil than I usually do, but didn't think much of it, until I was done, and yanked the kettle off of the burner.

Only the right half was lit up! I cranked it wide open and still only the right half of the burner was lit up. I swapped out my propane tank for a brand new one and still had the same problem.

Why is this happening? Anybody else had this problem?

Sounds like the burner has a clog somewhere. Maybe you can run a dip tube brush through it? Attack it with long paper clip? Run compressed air through it?

Much like a shower head can build up with calcium, a burner head can build up with impurities. Try running a wire brush over it (just the surface) while blowing compressed air though it.

I don't think it's the actual jets because it's the entire left side.

Weird thing is, if I hold a flame to the left side at either edge of it, it will burn, but stop when i turn off the lighter. So at least some fuel is getting through.

Definitely clogged up. I had a partial clog after a bad boilover, I blasted it out with a water jet from the garden hose and let it dry worked fine after that. You might need a soak in Oxyclean followed by spraying it out with water if it's really bad.

Back