Burner help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl_g

Reaction score
I am finally making the move to full boils and AG so I need a burner. I am considering 2 different kinds and would like members' input.
I will be only doing 5-6 gallon batches.
I am restricted to propane.
The 2 different burners are the Bayou Classic Banjo - KAB4 or the Bayou Classic SQ14. I know the banjo is way more more powerful but is it over kill?? Is there such a thing?

How long does it take to bring 7 or so gallons of wort to a boil using the SQ14 as compared to the banjo burner.

Thanks in advance. :mug:

-Carl

I would just go to wal-mart and buy the cheapest turkey fryer they have. You can always get one for around thirty bucks. This is what I have and it will bring it to a boil in no time.

Hurricane would be my choice or Banjo next. Advantage to Hurricane is easy conversion to NG if you have it available in the future.

As to $30 Turkey fryer, nobody I ever knew from Short Hills would buy stuff @ Wal-Mart! LOL Of course after the market crash who knows?

Hurricane would be my choice or Banjo next. Advantage to Hurricane is easy conversion to NG if you have it available in the future.

As to $30 Turkey fryer, nobody I ever knew from Short Hills would buy stuff @ Wal-Mart! LOL Of course after the market crash who knows?
LOL!!!!
I live in the poor section! :D

I would just go to wal-mart and buy the cheapest turkey fryer they have. You can always get one for around thirty bucks. This is what I have and it will bring it to a boil in no time.

Link to this $30 turkey fryer? I can't seem to find anything under $70.

The banjo is super quiet which rules if you in a garage. It is also very adjustable, it will do 5 gallons just as easy as 15 gallon batches.

I have the KAB6 and do 5 and 10 g batches. I collect about 7.5g for my 5g batches and it rocks. I know it uses lots of fuel, but I just keep it low. Its nice to have the power to get from room temp water to boiling in minutes. You really have to ask yourself, are you sure you'll never do 10g batches? I didnt think I would and now I think that's all I'm gonna do especialy on the house beers.

I've ordered two banjo burners and I'm having big problems finding an orifice that'll fit. The Bayou Classic website suggests the 5235 brass orifice with 3/8 flare and 1/4 MNPT.

I ordered someof these but they didn't fit into the burner. They were too small. I got a fitting from home depot that would make it fit, but when i hooked up the gas, the gas pressure was blowing the flames out.

Is the orifice too small and making the gas pressure too high? Has anyone else had this problem? If you have a banjo burner did it come with the orifice installed, and if so does it work well? What pressure regulator do you have?

I'm about at the end of my rope and wanting to throw the 15lb monsters through the window.

Anyone? Help!

Back