Burner for brew stand build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sauerj67

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I know there have been several questions out there about this, but I wanted to re-spark the topic.
I am trying to decide what burner to buy for my brew stand, and I have it narrowed it down to two:

1. 20 tip jet burner, cast Iron
2. Banjo burner BG-14(Blichmann burner)

Which one do you suggest? most efficient? Or, are there others.

Thanks and have a good one, it is snowing here in Colorado, so I will have an excellent day!!

The twenty tip is not as efficient and is very noisy, on the upside, you have more flame control.
Both could be overkill based on your kettle size. The 4" cast iron burner is more than adequate for up to 20 gallon kettles. Again, the 4" is relatively noisy compared to the Banjo burner.

The best price on the the Banjo burner is at AgriSupply

Another burner and in my opinion the best choice for efficiency and noise level is the 6" cast iron burner from AgriSupply and is less than half the price of the Banjo burner.

Now you are still no closer to a decision... I hope this helped to confuse matters... :confused:

That's odd. I would have said that the 20-tip has the LEAST flame control of all the burners in question. It's the only one that has no mix adjustment and therefore only performs well at a certain gas velocity through the tips.

That's odd. I would have said that the 20-tip has the LEAST flame control of all the burners in question. It's the only one that has no mix adjustment and therefore only performs well at a certain gas velocity through the tips.

That hasn't been my experience, but the point is moot considering all the cons. And 20 tip is way too much, the 10 tip is more than plenty.

I know there have been a few people on here that claim good flame control on the multi-jets and I've seem some pics and videos that confirm it but I've seen far more posts about frustrating experiences with them than success stories.

I'd say the multi-jets have the highest overall BTU output hands down but if you're looking for the ability to throttle back and simmer or to direct fire a mash, something with an air damper is a better bet.

OneHoppyGuy,
I was considering the 6" cast Iron model, but I was wanting to mount what ever I decide on with solid pipe so I don't have to worry about hanging the burner some how. Do you think I could do that with the 6" model? Also, the Banjo burner on Agri supply is the same as the one that is sold on Northern Brewer and several other brewing sights, the BTU's are different on the one sold from Agri supply. Are they the same? Is it a miss print?

Bobby,
What burners do you use on your system? I thought you had the individual jet burners?

OneHoppyGuy,
I was considering the 6" cast Iron model, but I was wanting to mount what ever I decide on with solid pipe so I don't have to worry about hanging the burner some how. Do you think I could do that with the 6" model? Also, the Banjo burner on Agri supply is the same as the one that is sold on Northern Brewer and several other brewing sights, the BTU's are different on the one sold from Agri supply. Are they the same? Is it a miss print?

Pretty sure it's the same burner. Should have "crappy casting Made in China" somewhere on it...

The 6" is drilled on the bottom and comes with a bolt. It requires an orifice, I don't know how you would plumb that to hard pipe.

I do have the multi-jets on my system and hated them from the start. I'm just too busy and then too lazy to do anything about it. I've had an electric conversion on my mind forever and can't bring myself to investing in anything gas related.

The banjo style mounts via threaded bosses on the sides and that's just fine because you really want a ring-style wind shield anyway. The BG-10 has the bottom stud so a U-shaped hanger would hold it up in place.

I have another question bobby, or for any one. I have a choice between using Natural Gas or Propane for my system, and suggestions on using either one?
Thanks

My son insists I am a continuous source of natural gas but I have yet to figure out how to hook it up to my rig :eek:

Ditto on NG

For our Rig, I bought one of these hoses (15' for around $60) and installed one of these quick connects. Use it with this burner. Had a neighbor (who is a plumber, paid him in beer ;) ) extend out the gas line and he also drilled out the orfaces of the burners (which are originally designed for propane) so that they would work with natural gas.
Works great and never have to change out propane tanks.

Back