Burner for 5 gallon - 1/2 barrel brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortWarrior

Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading from a 7.5 gallon kettle & generic turkey propane burner to a set up that I can ideally do 5 gallon - 1/2 barrel brews. I've done my homework and read a ton of threads but still can't figure out which burner I should get. My cousin is taking the old kettle back so I've settled on a 24 gallon Jarhill with a 20" base for a crazy good deal as my new kettle.

Here's my concern, the burners all seem to have pros in cons. The bigger ones (210K BTU / 30 PSI regulator) get the job done fast with a trade off of more propane used and less temperature control (not to mention issues with propane tank / reg freezing). These include the Bayou KAB4, KAB6, SP2, and Blichmann. Then there's the smaller ones typically used for 5 gallon batches, such as the Bayou SP10, SQ14.

What I want to find is something that can boil a 1/2 barrel in a reasonable amount of time but not too hot for a 5 gallon boil. I'm kinda leaning towards the KAB4 but if its too much for a small batch it doesn't work for me. Perhaps getting the KAB4 and swapping out the regulator for a 20 PSI would give me the happy medium I'm looking for?

I had the jump from the turkey fry and 7-gallon pot to a new burner for my 15-gallon pot and I kept going around looking for what made the most since. Now granted I only have a 15 gallons pot so the upper end of boiling 12 gallons is all it will ever see. But never the less I waited and looked around the web and even went to a few different brew day demonstrations to see other burners at work. Quick note the SP10 and SQ14 were small for 7 gallons batches. But the larger burned used the 20 or 30 psi regulator. Then I saw the Blichmann with a 10psi regulator, and they used it for the first brew a small 7-gallon batch and then a larger 13-gallon batch you could stand right next to the burner and hold a normal conversation and never know that this burner was on. I talked to the owner and he told me that this was the third burner he had bought because the others were loud and used a huge amount of propane. So I saved up and bought one myself and I am glad I waited this things is nice, now granted I stepped up from a turkey fry to this burner, I also sprung for the 24” legs. My runner up was the KAB4 was a nice burner but I needed the burner to be up off the ground and the 24” leg for the Blichmann was the answer.

I went from turkey fryer to a KAB4 which I converted to low pressure natural gas and love it. Of course, I have an endless supply with NG, but this burner blows my turkey fryer away. I use it for 5 gallon batches. Bought it for $85 with free shipping on Amazon prime a month ago.

Back