Bunratty Mead recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macachoin

Reaction score
Anyone know what herbs are used in Bunratty's Irish Mead? I'd love a clone recipe but I'd start with any ideas of what herbs are included. Thanks.

I went to Ireland and tasted this mead. It's awesome! Has anyone found anything related to a Bunratty mead copy cat recipe? All I have found is sweet honey and herbs. That's not specific. lol. I would love to make a similar mead.

I did a bit of quick research and found that it is actually a white wine sweetened with honey and herbs. That point could help trying to recreate the recipe because it won't take as long as a mead would to do some experiments.

I bought this "Meade" at my local state liquor store (in Pennsylvania) and after sampling it, I briefly considered filing a complaint with Federal and State authorities that review label content.
The problem is this: the product is labeled "MEADE" in large letters and in small, faint, hard to read letters it says: "white wine flavored with honey and herbs".
Its not mead or MEADE at all, its just white wine.

For a clone recipe, make a 14% ABV white wine, add chemicals or filter to eliminate the yeast, then backseweeten with honey. Add whatever herbs Bunratty uses.
You can also experiment with some jug wine from you nearest store and add honey and herbs to that.

Aww. Lame. I missed that detail. Nevermind then. I'm looking for an actual mead. Good catch madscientist.

Wait. What's the difference between meade and mead? And honey wine?

The terms are used so interchangeably. Is honey wine and meade the same?

I've read here that meade is a honey wine, so it isn't a legitimate mead? It's just a white wine backsweetened with honey?

What if you ferment grape juice with honey in it? What's that considered? I'm just looking for a very specific definition of mead, meade, and honeywine.

Wait. What's the difference between meade and mead? And honey wine?

The terms are used so interchangeably. Is honey wine and meade the same?

I've read here that meade is a honey wine, so it isn't a legitimate mead? It's just a white wine backsweetened with honey?

What if you ferment grape juice with honey in it? What's that considered? I'm just looking for a very specific definition of mead, meade, and honeywine.

Meade, mead and honey wine would be the same. Meade probably being some marketing attempt at old English. From the description this stuff is just a white wine with honey and herbs.

A mead fermented with honey and grapes is a pyment. Yep, there's a name for everything.

What about a white wine fermented without any honey, then backsweetened with it? So no honey was fermented in the primary. Is that still a mead just because it contains honey?

Macachoin.
Even if it is not a proper mead, if you like it, it may be worth cloning for your enjoyment.
Regards.

Back