Bung in the beer..... crap.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I brewed a lavender lemon kolsch, and I wanted to add a little extra flavor so I made a lemon lavender tea to add to the fermenter tonight. It's been in there for about five days now. Anyways, when I went to add the tea, the bung popped off into the beer. I sprayed it all down with starsan before it happened, so hopefully it's okay, but man what a pain.

Just add new bung and you'll be fine. Yes infections happen, but they are kinda blown out of proportion and dont happen as easy as everyone makes them sound especially if your beer has already fermented most of the way. I mean look at it from a historical perspective there wasn't much if any sanitation back when beer was created, hell they didnt even know microscopic stuff existed. They left wort out in the open and wild yeast fermented it. RDWHAHB! [emoji481]

We have all done it I suspect. First time I freaked out, then sanitized some foil and tossed it over in place. No harm no foul. RDWHAHB

Yeah, well thanks for the encouraging words. I still feel weird about this thing just sitting in there. Oh well.

Yeah, it's make shift bucket fermenter that has a hole drilled in from a paddle bit. The bung fits in there just right, but when I went to grab it I accidentally pushed it through. I thought I could wiggle it back through, but I was wrong. It's not the best fermenter really, but the rest of them are full at the moment.

Back