Bung fell into fermenter!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdp

Reaction score
Well I was stupid and didn’t use a blowoff tube, so when I went to replace the bubbler having cleaned it the stopper on my SS brew bucket fell in. Turns out I don’t have tubing wide enough for a blow off tube so in the emergency I soaked a muslin bag in santisizer and wrapped it around a smaller OD tube to hold it in...

How screwed am I? What do I do next???

Thanks!

I have done it also there is a trick on getting it out. Stuff a towel in there with some of it sticking out get the bung on top of the towel and pull it out

You can also use a plastic grocery bag to get it out (after it's emptied). I did this once and freaked out but Youtube saved me.

All many thanks. Fingers crossed...

To add to the “excitement” and increase the anticipation on his brew, I did forget to mention that a plastic ladle I had tried to use to scoop it out also fell in - it was sanitized except for the very top that I was holding... so there we are then.

If this one turns out well I’ll be sure to repeat these mistakes next time.

I wish I would have saw this before, my stopper just fell in tonight ( on this POS bucket- I'm asking for a refund tomorrow) and I was pissed. I tried to open it then look for it but that ish sank. So I was **** outta luck and decided to transfer the primary to another fermentation aftering a good couple swirils. God Help me.

I know the yeast will switch from anarobic to areobic but will this mess with the outcome?

Last edited:
I wish I would have saw this before, my stopper just fell in tonight ( on this POS bucket- I'm asking for a refund tomorrow) and I was pissed. I tried to open it then look for it but that ish sank. So I was poopy outta luck and decided to transfer the primary to another fermentation aftering a good couple swirils. God Help me.

I know the yeast will switch from anarobic to areobic but will this mess with the outcome?

It'll be beer. You'll drink it while reflecting on the role bungs have played in your life, and emerge wiser from the experience.

I've done this twice so far. Once in my 7.5g glass carboy and once in the 6g plastic. Both beers turned out fine. Pushing the bung through (which sounds like a great title for an Irish drinking song) is right up there with forgetting to install the bazooka (or dropping the false bottom) before mashing in, and suddenly remembering the yeast hasn't been rehydrated or the fermenter sanitized about 5 minutes into chilling. Beer is a hardy beast for the most part and will forgive most (but not all) of your mistakes. Just remember people were making great beer hundreds of years before all the fancy-schmancy equipment we have at our disposal now.

it's fine, I dropped a live mackerel and an otter into a carboy accidently one time, and I just left it to finish out. in the end the otter was fine although the mackerel didn't fare so well.
the good news is that the beer, according to a panel of brulosophy tasters was not effected enough to achieve statistical significance.

it's fine, I dropped a live mackerel and an otter into a carboy accidently one time, and I just left it to finish out. in the end the otter was fine although the mackerel didn't fare so well.
the good news is that the beer, according to a panel of brulosophy tasters was not effected enough to achieve statistical significance.
I've done this twice so far. Once in my 7.5g glass carboy and once in the 6g plastic. Both beers turned out fine. Pushing the bung through (which sounds like a great title for an Irish drinking song) is right up there with forgetting to install the bazooka (or dropping the false bottom) before mashing in, and suddenly remembering the yeast hasn't been rehydrated or the fermenter sanitized about 5 minutes into chilling. Beer is a hardy beast for the most part and will forgive most (but not all) of your mistakes. Just remember people were making great beer hundreds of years before all the fancy-schmancy equipment we have at our disposal now.

I honestly would have kept it there but I had no other small bung or rubber stopper which is what happened it my case.

IMG_3919.jpg

Ok - so not a prefect beer but BnL ale turned out quite quaffable

The infamous loose bung drop.
Serious business.
Like.... I sneezed 4 feet away from my fermenter. Is my beer ruined?

You srsly need to be careful poking your fingers around your bunghole. I keep mine very clean. Beer should be great, albeit, a tongue in cheek story.

Back