Bulldog Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matzou

Reaction score
Hello,

After a quick search on the interweb I couldn't find any information on those yeast:
http://www.bulldogbrews.co.uk/products/bulldog-beer-yeast/b5-american-west-beer-yeast.html

I have a couple of pack as part of a prize and will probably try them sooner or later but would like to know if some of you have hands on experience with them.

I thought it might just be a simple rebranding of Lallemand/Fermentis but the predicted AA% flocculation spec doesn't seems to match for their equivalent: Bulldog B5/S-05/Notty or Bry-97.

Thanks

Although I don't have anything solid to go on, if you look at their yeast range as a whole Bulldog looks suspiciously like the Mangrove Jack range. The 10g pack size is another pointer in that direction.

It's possible that Hambleton Bard are substituting one or two specific strains along the way (as Crossmyloof seem to), but as a first approximation I'd assume that any given Bulldog is the MJ equivalent - in this case M44 West Coast although the temp range may point to M36 Liberty Bell.

Yes the specs don't quite match up, but that may just be obfuscation using slightly different test conditions and/or personal opinion on things like flocculation.

Indeed it makes a lot more sense, I didn't even think about the MJ yeast.

Maybe I could try to shoot an email directly to them as well... :)

I wouldn't get your hopes up, generally companies don't like to talk about white label stuff, particularly if it's sold at a lower price than the branded version. Sometimes you can winkle stuff out of them in person, as long as it's off the record.

Latest posts

Back