Bulk buy? NE ohio.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was an attempt to get one going 2 weeks ago, however it feel through. I would be interested in participating if anyone wants to try again.

One going on in Butler, north of Pittsburg. I live in the Youngstown area. I might be able to bring a few bags back. Kinda the halfway point. I have a small pickup but could probably do up to 10 bags. 1/4 ton or so.

I thought I seen one going on in Akron too but I can't find it again. I'm definitely in if there's a close one or even pickin some up from you in Youngstown. I'll make it worth the trip maybe 3 or 4 bags. I'm new to the grain though and haven't looked into the shelf life... Is there one?

I get varying figures but 6 months seems to be safe if you store it cool and dry. I looked up the capacity on my S10 (never needed to know it before) and I think I can safely get 18 sacks of grain into it weight wise. It is about a $12 to $15 trip for me so I'd need some help to distribute that cost a little to make it worth my while. 15 bags would be a buck per sack. I'd pay my share but don't expect anything for my time. I can get 2 row locally for $48 so the trip has to make sense dollars wise. 2 bags for myself makes it a marginal trip at best. The last buy was up around 15 bags if you take out the organizer.

Hi Hermit,
I'm just a little west of you and I'll take you up on your offer !!! 1 Maris Otter and 1 Two row, if you can get it as far as Youngstown. Let me know if it's good by you.

Thanks ( in advance ) !!!!!!!!

OK. That is up to 7 bags now. I'm keeping tabs on the guy in Butler putting this together. Ultimately you would have to order directly from him and I'd pick it up. At 10 bags it is a pretty easy decision because that makes it $1 a bag for gas for me to drive down. Like I said. I'll charge myself the same price as everyone else.

Yea I'd throw in on gas for sure, any idea when this is supposed to happen?

Just bumping this up. We should do so through the weekend. Recap. I live in the Youngstown area. I'm willing to make the drive to Butler. It is about 120 miles round trip. Looking for at least 10 bags to make it worth my trip. Pretty sure with mine, we have 5, maybe 8, so far. Based on load I should be able to get up to 18 sacks in the truck. I get almost 30 miles to the gallon so it is about a $12 trip for me. Probably a little more loaded but I'm not splitting hairs since I will be getting the grain cheaper than I can locally. So, if we get 12 bags it would be a buck a bag. I'm not looking to pay $0 for gas. I'll pay the same split as everyone else. I am donating my time and expect nothing for that.

As stated above, go to the PA bulk buy thread. The poster has a business and will be collecting for the grain in a paypal account.

Hermit, do you have plans for tarps to cover the grain being transported in your truck in the case of rain, or is it a bed with a cap on it?
I'd be interested in seeing the spreadsheet if they get it up tomorrow.

I'm still in for my 2 bags with Hermit's help getting it as far as Youngstown, I'll be taking mine back to the Akron area and can handle lugging a few more bags back to the there if that helps anyone.

I'm still in for my 2 bags with Hermit's help getting it as far as Youngstown, I'll be taking mine back to the Akron area and can handle lugging a few more bags back to the there if that helps anyone.

I'm up to about 7-8 bags locally here. Easily over 10 at this rate. As soon as the OP puts up the spread sheet we can get some firm numbers.

I'd like to hop on board with a bag of Canadian 2-row. rattwo, if you're willing to relay my bag from Hermit I can pick it up from you in Akron. I'm from Wooster so that would shave about an hour off my drive. I guess I could also take a bag or two back if someone wants the relay extended this way.

np bigtoe......i'll bring it to Akron area for you if we haven't exceeded Hermit's capacity yet.

np bigtoe......i'll bring it to Akron area for you if we haven't exceeded Hermit's capacity yet.
I could be getting close but I think I'm good so far. Once you PM the guy organizing the buy, post or pm so that I can start keeping track. I probably will have 10 sacks for local delivery at this point.

Hi Hermit....10 bags was your minimum not your max, right, but you probably can't handle too much more than that. It looks like bugman has a spreadsheet up. Do you want me to put my 2 bags in on his thread or handle through you ? ( i'm new at this ) Thanks !!! ( to you and bugman )

Hi Hermit....10 bags was your minimum not your max, right, but you probably can't handle too much more than that. It looks like bugman has a spreadsheet up. Do you want me to put my 2 bags in on his thread or handle through you ? ( i'm new at this ) Thanks !!! ( to you and bugman )

Yeah. 18 is max. Started my list. You are down. I didn't want to make a list until people started committing to bugman. You will pay him what he needs and I will double check before going down that he has permission from each of you for me to pick up your grain. Then we will split the gas cost when you pick it up from me. Should go under a little under the $1 a bag at this rate.

Sounds good.....i just sent a pm and posted in bugmans thread. I'll pay him whenever he wants and will give you gas money when i pick up form you. If bigtoe wants a bag, i'll haul his bag to Akron and he can pm bugman and just let me know if he needs it hauled. Thanks again !

PM and post done. Yeah rattwo, I would appreciate if you'd haul my bag. Let me know if you also want gas cash.

OK. That is 6 'confirmed' on my list. I should see a couple of people accounting for 4 bags tonight. I need to find out for sure what they want.

Ok, I'm back now (computer issues). So bugman is the guy organizing this and that is the link that hermit posted on page one? I'll be in for a few bags probably two now that I realize the shelf life isnt what I thought originally.

Ok, I'm back now (computer issues). So bugman is the guy organizing this and that is the link that hermit posted on page one? I'll be in for a few bags probably two now that I realize the shelf life isnt what I thought originally.

I just read somewhere 18 months if stored cool and dry, but who knows. You can find lots of conflicting advice on the web. Once you post to bugman what you want, I put you on my list.

I'll pick up the bag for u bigtoe......i don't need any gas money unless i need to take my truck ( it sucks the gas ). i can probably fit about 4 to 6 bags in my car. Anyone want to split a bag of crystal 60 or vienna ?

I'll pick up the bag for u bigtoe......i don't need any gas money unless i need to take my truck ( it sucks the gas ). i can probably fit about 4 to 6 bags in my car. Anyone want to split a bag of crystal 60 or vienna ?

If you can get it to Akron (I'm up in North Olmsted) I'd split a bag of Vienna, I'd also need 2 50s of 2-row Pale, provided you've got the room & the logistics are not too much of a PITA.

-d

I'd be interested in splitting a bag of vienna. What are the details? Would it be split by them or us?

that's a deal logdrum.......i'll haul the 3 bags ( your 2 bags and our split bag ) to the Akron area( i'm in cuyahoga falls ), no charge. you get pay Hermit for the 3, and I'll split the cost of the bag of vienna when you pick them up.......we can split it up at my place, just bring a home depot bucket, that should hold about a half a bag ( we can measure it then ). This all depends on Hermit hauling to Youngstown and you paying bugman. sounds great to me !!! ( if it falls through you're in bigtoe )

This won't hold format because the software takes out what it considers 'extra spaces'. The second number is the total. 6 bags so far. Let me know if anyone is missed.

rawtto
cm-2row 1
bd-mopa 1 2
hermit
TF-MOPA 1 3
TF-GPRM 1 4
875-E-1 1 5
bigtoe
cm-2row 1 6

that's a deal logdrum.......i'll haul the 3 bags ( your 2 bags and our split bag ) to the Akron area( i'm in cuyahoga falls ), no charge. you get pay Hermit for the 3, and I'll split the cost of the bag of vienna when you pick them up.......we can split it up at my place, just bring a home depot bucket, that should hold about a half a bag ( we can measure it then ). This all depends on Hermit hauling to Youngstown and you paying bugman. sounds great to me !!! ( if it falls through you're in bigtoe )

I will put in for the Vienna-any malster preference?

What are you guys paying per bag up there? Just got some Rahr Pilsen "on sale" for $39.95 per 50# bag.

Used to live in NE Ohio, myself, 7 years ago!

BTW, it does take 2 five gallon buckets to hold a bag of malt. That is how I store mine.

Hi Hermit.......logdrum just pm'd bugman for 3 bags......just wanted to make sure you have them accounted for. i'll pick his, my 2, and bigtoe's 1, up from you in youngstown. and relay to akron. that's 6 bags headed to akron ( about all my little saturn can handle )

Back