Bulk Barn? What kind of grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattthemazer

Reaction score
Hi, so, I'm going to open this by saying that I've never brewed beer before, but I've made a few batches of mead and so I'm going to branch out and try some beer. That being said, I've done lots of reading.

I like the idea of malting my own grain, and so I went to bulk barn, decided to try something completely different, and so I got some bulk stuff.
-hulled millet
-kamut flakes
-spelt flakes
-farrow (grains?)

My question is, do I even need to malt them? Can I just boil them and use them like normal? Are they too weird to work? I grow my own hops, so I'd just use those. (bought a plant a few years ago because I think it's cool. Thought I'd actually use some of it this year. Pretty sure they're plain golden hops). I think they'd make a cool ancient-grains beer.

If you intend to use the grains by themselves, they need to be malted. If you use them with malted barley, malted wheat, etc, there should be sufficient enzymes in the malted grains to convert quite a bit of them. I can use US grown malted barley (pale malt) and it will convert up to 60% unmalted wheat.

Also, grain that has been flaked won't sprout so it can't be malted. As long as you can bring it to temperature to gelatinize, you can convert it with either a malt with spare enzyme or by adding amylase enzyme directly.

Back