Bulging Fermenter Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am still new at making beer and trying different processes. I have just finished my 4th batch this past Sunday and pitched the yeast around 5 P.M. It has been about 30 hours and my fermentation is working extremely well. Lot's of bubbles, too much I think considering they are coming completely out of the airlock. Also, my lid is bulging like a balloon. Should I worry about my airlock blowing off and having a huge mess to clean in the morning or do you think the ferment will start to slow down? The OG reading was 1.060. Is this considered a higher OG? Any help tonight will be appreciated since I need to go to sleep soon. I just would like to know if I am going to have a mess in the morning or if I have passed that stage of the fermentation?

Thanks.

Would see how quickly you can whip together a blowoff tube, if possible. Bulging lids are not to be taken lightly...

I'd say if nothing is available, grab a load of towels, fold a few so you can hold them in one hand, position them over a section of the lid, and crack it open ever-so-slightly, keeping the towels over the open section. There will most likely be a decent "kablooie", so put a few towels on the floor as well, and make sure that nothing really finds its way inside (i.e. dust bunnies, small children, etc). Clean up, and have another beer.

I would think as long as the lid is snug you will be find if there is enough room in the fermentation bucket so that the airlock doesn't get the "cake" in it and clogs to airlock. Just to be safe you could put it in an area that would be easy to clean. I always ferment in a closet in my garage so if I have to clean it up I can spray it out (drain in the floor as well) and not worry about it. Good luck, cheers

No cake in the air lock, just a lot of bubbles and I can hear the air still releasing. I moved the bucket to the garage away from anything of true value and can be cleaned easily if needed.

just be sure that your garage isn't too cold/hot, if it varies too much either way it will make the yeast become "stuck".

Latest posts

Back