built-in chiller in boil kettle and HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datchew

Reaction score
I have a variant of the 3 keggle gravity fed type of system.
Planning to go horizontal and add a pump.

Plan is to use a stainless coil up against the ID bulkhead of the 2 keggles with welded joints through the bulkheads.
When finished with the boil, I'll dump a 10lb bag of ice into the HLT with some water, hook up a transfer line from HLT -> pump -> BK ->back to HLT and simply circulate the water back and forth from the hot to the cold without ever touching the wort.

I'm not interested in counterflow chillers or any pumping of the wort post-boil. I'm just weird about contamination and cleaning. :D
Also, I realize the HTC of copper is higher than 304SS, but the thermal cycling would tear up the joint and I'd rather have the more robust stainless coils.

Any tips/help or links to a setup like this would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

sounds pretty cool idea, i've been debating which colling route to go for the larger system i'm working on.

That's pretty much what I do with my Brewkart (copper not stainless)... Though I also recirc the wort to speed the chilling... 4 gal from boiling to pitching temp in about 10 min...

IMG_6495.jpg

Back