Built a Lager Locker (low-dough lagering chamber)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeintoledo

Reaction score
I read somewhere (don't remember where, probably here) about a guy who built a lagering chamber / chiller. I want to get started on whipping up some marzen for the fall, and want to get two carboys a-gurglin' away. I built this handsome gem today, and it should have enough room for two 6 gal carboys.

I plan on using as the chilling method 1.5 liters of water frozen in bottles (small chamber). I have a small 80mm computer fan that's going in, and a Red Lion process controller to control the temp inside hte chamber.

my only concern is getting the carboys down to cold enough temperatures to begin with, but we're gonna let 'er rip.

btw, the sweet-ass flame Duct Tape is only there to hold panels together while adhesive cures. It may be a permanent attachment, though, to offset the pink.

LAGERLOCKER.jpg

I realize after the fact that this should probably have gone in DIY projects. Mods, please feel free to do that voodoo that you do and move to a more appropriate locale.

How'd it go? I'd like to hear about it. I want to do the same sort of thing. Just don't want to have to buy another freezer or fridge...don't have the room really. This looks light enough I could probably squeeze it up in the attic when I'm done with it. I could just drink up all kegs and convert it over to a fermentation chamber...but doing without my kegs...well that's roughing it.

Back