Building MT: Bazooka screen or SS braid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPRjam

Reaction score
I built a mash tun out of a 5 gallon beverage cooler some time ago, and have been using it consistently. I used a stainless steel braid from a hot water heater as the filter, and have had good results. The problem with the 5 gallon MT is that I can't make bigger beers.

I bought a 52 quart rectangular cooler to use as a larger MT (http://www.target.com/p/igloo-famil...-/A-11905594#prodSlot=medium_1_11&term=cooler), and am in the conversion process.

I'm torn on whether I should use another SS braid, or if I should buy a more heavy-duty boil screen like this one: (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-bazooka-screen.html). I'm not against making a copper manifold, but it seems like the cost/effort versus results don't warrant doing that over using a braid/screen of some sort.

Oh, I exclusively batch sparge, and have no plans to convert to continuous sparging.

Thoughts?

How many would you need for your cooler. 2 with a coupler? I think it just depends on how much work you want to do yourself. I think the boil screen will do a fine job but if you are looking for a project build the copper manifold. If it were me, I would probably buy the boil screen.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that it would take 2 max of the braids, but some of them come in 18" lengths. I'm betting I could get longer than the bazooka screen with a single braid, and it would probably be cheaper.

My hang-up is that some of the posts I've read say that a braid tends to float in the mash and give poor drainage. I don't know how real of a problem this actually is.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that it would take 2 max of the braids, but some of them come in 18" lengths. I'm betting I could get longer than the bazooka screen with a single braid, and it would probably be cheaper.

My hang-up is that some of the posts I've read say that a braid tends to float in the mash and give poor drainage. I don't know how real of a problem this actually is.

I went with a braided SS supply line for a hot water heater that I found at home depot. I think it was 14 bucks and it took a bit of work getting the hose out of the stainless screen but it works fine at this point. I just have the screen zip tied to a 1/2" barb inside my tun.

Honestly though, I have a bazooka screen I purchased from bargainfittings.com for 9.99 and it is a tank. It's huge and built very well. I would rather have the bazooka to be honest however I was under time constraints and I just am not a patient man :D.

You'll be ok either way but if you have the time order the bazooka

I use a ss braid, I welded up a stand to hold the cooler on an angle to drain all the wort out

I use a braid in a Rectangular cooler. Have no comparative experience, but I have no complaints.

I used a 48" braid that I had, and connected it to two 1/2" Barb fittings. I have mine on with SS hose clamps, but honestly, I am pretty sure you could use nothing... the chinese-finger-trap effect is such that I think you would have to work to get it off.

5SCHHDm.jpg

I'd advise you to make a manifold out of CPVC instead of copper. My own experiences with SS braids and stuck sparges have soured me on them.

I just use a single bazooka screen in my 48-quart cooler MT. I batch sparge and my efficiency isn't great (65-ish %), but it's acceptable to me. The screen unscrews easily for quick and thorough cleaning and I never worry about accidentally dislodging it while stirring the mash.

Latest posts

Back