Igloo Ice Cube SS Braid/CPVC MT Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emcfarden

Reaction score
Just got back into brewing and did my first AG batch last weekend. I used my newly converted Igloo Ice Cube converted MT and wanted to share the project here in case someone has this cooler and was looking for ideas like I was. Hit 84% efficiency on the first go around, so I'd call it a success. It was a bright light in an otherwise stressful first AG brew day.

I originally started with a full CPVC manifold but I didnt like the way it came out. I had a couple of spare washer supply lines and decided WTH I'll give it a shot. I left a few of the original CPVC pieces and just used hose clamps to secure the braids to them. I didn't glue any of the pieces together. My only concern was the grain compressing the braids too much, but it worked fine with a 5g batch. I didn't measure it but it looks like I only leave a few cups of water in the bottom.

upload_2019-3-5_19-42-56.png

For the top I just taped a piece of insulation to the bottom of the lid and put some weather stripping inside the groove of the lid to help with heat retention.

upload_2019-3-5_19-51-15.png

Cheers! :mug:

They look like nylon braids, I'm surprised they don't become totally flat under the grain weight. Even if they do, as long as they stay permeable, liquid will get inside.

How do you deal with the elevated drain? Do you rely on the siphon action to drain the tun? Does that work well for you?Otherwise you'd have a huge grain-filled deadspace there, at least a gallon, possibly 2.

They look like nylon braids, I'm surprised they don't become totally flat under the grain weight. Even if they do, as long as they stay permeable, liquid will get inside.

How do you deal with the elevated drain? Do you rely on the siphon action to drain the tun? Does that work well for you?Otherwise you'd have a huge grain-filled deadspace there, at least a gallon, possibly 2.

They're similar but a bit stiffer than nylon. I'm betting they do get a bit compressed under the grain but I had good drainage the other day, granted that was with 14lbs. I guess we'll see how it does on bigger grain bills. I'm thinking I can insert a couple of SS springs or small lengths of drilled out cpvc to hold up the braids if I run into any problems.

I have to elevate the tun and use a siphon to overcome the rise to the drain valve. It works well though as there was definitely less than a quart of water left in it after testing it.

I have to elevate the tun and use a siphon to overcome the rise to the drain valve. It works well though as there was definitely less than a quart of water left in it after testing it.
A leftover quart is good enough, but how would you drain the tun if the natural siphon breaks? Would you know it broke?
Am I correct to assume you batch sparge? Twice? And with full drains each time?

I like the insulated lid, never though of that but I will be doing it.
Probably no way to know if the siphon broke late in runoff, but monitoring return volume after first runoff would give some indication. Definitely would need to slow it down toward the end.

A leftover quart is good enough, but how would you drain the tun if the natural siphon breaks? Would you know it broke?
Am I correct to assume you batch sparge? Twice? And with full drains each time?

I'm assuming as long as I have positive head at my manifold and it doesn't crush under the grain then I'll maintain the siphon. I didn't have any problems on the first go around. Yes I batch sparged 2x with full drains both times.

I like the insulated lid, never though of that but I will be doing it.
Probably no way to know if the siphon broke late in runoff, but monitoring return volume after first runoff would give some indication. Definitely would need to slow it down toward the end.

I didn't test the lid before adding the insulation, but I had the spare insulation from my fermigerator build. I figured it would help with the cheap cooler lid. It actually did better than I calculated and I ended up with more in my kettle than I needed. Yes I did close my valve towards the end due to the lower pressure differential to avoid a vacuum.

Yes that is a good one! There are tons of new breweries popping up down here now with great beers. I'll let you know if I come across anything!

Latest posts

Back