Building an intro yeast collection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robit

Reaction score
Hey All,

New to the world of home brewing with 6 batches under my belt, all all-grain and all with yeast starters. I'm actually thinking I enjoy the yeast cultivation just as much as the brewing..

That said, I'm starting to look at rounding out my ale yeast collection and I was wondering what suggestions you all might come up with?

As it stands I have White Labs California Yeast and a German Ale/Kolsch that I have been using for Gruit as well as Yeast Bay Vermont for IIPA. I'm thinking i would like to have something on hand for Saison, a high gravity Belgium as well as Wit, and a Hefe yeast that would work for both Dunkel and Weiss (so i guess that means no bumble gum flavour?). Aside, I'm also just interested in which yeasts are very versatile, forgiving or generally awesome..

Thanks in advance..

Saison 3711 is the easiest strain, doesnt require god temp control. Im not a fan of its flavor, but others are. Its worth a try. 3724 is the Dupont strain, and a classic, but can be fussy.

Belgian, 3787 (westmalle/westerlaven) is a classic and useful for all trappist styles and is pretty forgiving, with a complex flavor profile.

Hefe, 3068 is the most used strain. Its the classic bannana clove strain. Getting Bubblegum out of it is pretty temp dependent, dont let it get over 70. 3638 is another option it also has notes of rose and vanilla in addition to the classic profile.

1469 is a great estery english strain that is very easy to use. 1098 is a drier cleaner brittish strain which is also pretty alcohol tolerant.

Latest posts

Back