Building an immersion chiller - 2 25' or 1 50'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
So I picked up 50 ft of 1/2" copper to build an immersion chiller. As before any DIY build I am wondering what the best design is to give me the best chilling time.

I have seen plenty of single coil 50' chillers and a few 50' with a large circle and a smaller one in the center.

I would like to keep it a single 10" diameter coil if possible (wrapped around a corny). That should make my chiller coil about 10" high if I calculated correctly. This should work perfect since I brew mostly 6.5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon pot. I don't have a pump so the whirlpool chiller is out of the question. I just plan on gently stirring while it's chilling.

So I was wondering if should just build a single 50' chiller or 2 25' chillers stacked on top of one another? There would be two coolant inputs and to outputs.

I'm just wondering how much more efficient it would be than a standard single 50' coil.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

I'd do a single 50ft imersion chiller. Easier to build a single piece, and less complexity over your other considerations

I'd recommend a single piece chiller... using 50'. I made mine of 1/2", 50' copper coil... wrapped it around a corny just as you're doing to do. It's easy and simpler than a 2 piece chiller.

I'd post a pic of mine, but I don't have enough posts under my belt. Your math is right... your coil should be roughly 10" tall.... Mine is 9.5" tall with the "risers" extending another 9" high and making a 90 degree turn horizontally, with barbed fittings soldered on.

One tip I'd give: To make my compact and tightly wound... I had some scrap romex laying around... stripping the wires... and wrapped it once around the coil at 3 different points to keep the coil stack snug so it didn't flop around like a slinky. Just a thought.

Yeah, I am going to make the "risers" about 24" so that I can use it in my pot or a keggle if I ever get that thing up and running.

I have some spare copper that I am going to use for the vertical pieces. The full 50' will make up the coil.

I guess I'll just go with the single coil 50' then. I guess if I'm not happy with the chill time I can always just cut it in half and modify it at a later time.

How long does it take you guys using 50' half inch chiller to get get 5 or 6 gallons down to 70's?

I plan on just stirring. No pump. no prechiller ice bath or any of the stuff at this point.

If yo don't have a pump how do you plan to run cooling water thru two separate 25 ft chillers at once? Just do one 5o foot. It will be good for the finishing temps.

As far as DIY projects go more complicated = more awesome ............. as long as it turns out somewhat as intended.

I've got some ideas for the dual 25' build. I still need to think about it a little longer before the final decision. Plus the tubing I got was a little bent up when I got it out of the box so building it tonight is no longer an option. I'll return it and get some non-dented up tubing. This gives me a little while longer to think it over.

$3 hose splitter to run water through both of them if I decide to go the dual 25' route.

Snazzy idea. That would eliminate cheap rigged up looking hose splitter design. I will definately consider this.

Back