Building a Keezer, need part assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alchemy

Reaction score
So far so good on this project, have the frame with casters and skirt all built and the edging for the top. About to start work on the draft box and want to buy all of the parts i need.

Never built anything like this before and i dont want to mess up the order.

Need suggestions for where i should buy taps/shanks/tail ends/lines/barbs and what i should purchase to make everything work.

I am thinking stainless steel for everything and perlick ss 525 brass finish like these for the taps: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faucets/faucets/525sstf_perl_faucet.shtml

I have ball lock kegs so everything would need to hook to them

Can someone kindly assist me in making a part list for a tap setup from tap to keg using those taps above? What are my options for disconnects? ive heard of quick disconnects but never seen them, those a good idea? :drunk:

Farmhouse Brewing Supply I have found has the best prices for the shanks/faucets etc.

When you say draft box, are you talking about a coffin keezer? or how are you constructing this box?

This will depend on what size shanks you need. Once we know that, the parts you need are basically:

Faucets > Shank > Tail piece > beer line w/ clamps > ball lock beverage out post. Basically for the line, (ignoring length of the line for this example), if you took a prebuilt picinic tap that comes with most kegging kits, and removed the tap portion and connected it right in to the tail piece of the shank, you would be set to go.

Somewhere in my build thread I did a bill of materials. Let me see if I can find it...

EDIT

Here it is!

Awesome thank you!

Where did you end up ordering all of that from?

did you use a 3/16 tail end?

Love your keezer btw, it was the reason my brother and i both wanted to build ours.

I saw you used stone on top of yours, was the weight an issue? I was thinking of using marble tile but dont want to break the hinges on the freezer so i might go with a copper top and cover that with epoxy

Not sure anymore exactly where everything came from, but any place like Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply, Williams Brewing, etc, should have the goodies you need.

I can't remember what size tail I got, but I do remember having a ***** of a time getting the lines on, so I may have gotten a size to big for my lines.

As for the stone, I never had any issue with the weight. Yes, it was very heavy, but the hinges never gave any sign they couldn't handle it. The only thing I would have done differently due to the weight would be to have done a linear actuated lift for opening it - not that I couldn't lift it, but it would have looked BADASS! :D

Not sure anymore exactly where everything came from, but any place like Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply, Williams Brewing, etc, should have the goodies you need.

I can't remember what size tail I got, but I do remember having a ***** of a time getting the lines on, so I may have gotten a size to big for my lines.

As for the stone, I never had any issue with the weight. Yes, it was very heavy, but the hinges never gave any sign they couldn't handle it. The only thing I would have done differently due to the weight would be to have done a linear actuated lift for opening it - not that I couldn't lift it, but it would have looked BADASS! :D

haha yeah it would have!

I have heard of other people having a hard time fitting beer line onto 1/4 tail ends because beer line is 3/16. I know barb ends on the keg side are 1/4 as well so if i get 3/16 tail ends and 3/16 beer line i am still going to have a hard time fitting the line on the keg side.

you used oetiker clamps on the keg and tap side, any reason you didnt use screw clamps?

thank you for letting me pick your brain :)

You should be fine if you go all 3/16" If you have any trouble, just soak the ends of your beer line in some hot water for a minute or so, then they should slide right on.

Screw clamps should work just fine - not sure why I went with the oetikers at the time.

Wow - there is a LOT I can't remember about that project!!

You should be fine if you go all 3/16" If you have any trouble, just soak the ends of your beer line in some hot water for a minute or so, then they should slide right on.

Screw clamps should work just fine - not sure why I went with the oetikers at the time.

Wow - there is a LOT I can't remember about that project!!

I couldnt believe it when i saw you sold it! I live in Connecticut and would have driven up to Vermont to pick that up.

You going to build another one? :)

Right now I am in the process of trying to build a house, but once that little detail is taken care of, yes I am building The Keezer v2! :D

Well, I may be handy enough, but I don't have time enough! I'll just be general contracting it, and doing a couple of the trades myself, but most of it will be built by subcontractors.

I specifically designed the basement to have room for an epic bar with (of course) built in keezer.

Well, I may be handy enough, but I don't have time enough! I'll just be general contracting it, and doing a couple of the trades myself, but most of it will be built by subcontractors.

I specifically designed the basement to have room for an epic bar with (of course) built in keezer.

i saw that beerpastor (i think thats his handle) turned his keezer into a through the wall bar into a walk in cooler room...might be time for that? :)

Back