Building a British bitter from the bottom up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on brewing several British-style beers in the spring. This thread is really good reading. thanks.

AG ESB malt/Goldings SMaSH

OG: 1.042
SRM: 5.6
IBU: 37.4
Batch size: 5.5 gals.
Mash: 60 mins. @ 154F (68% eff.)

8.5 lbs. of Gambrinus ESB malt
1.0 oz. Goldings (whole) (5.0%) @ 60 mins.
1.0 oz. Goldings (whole) (5.0%) @ 30 mins.
1.0 oz. of Goldings (whole) (5.0%) @ 10 mins.

1.0 tsp. Irish moss

Wyeast 1098

Water: Very soft Vancouver water - pH 6.7 (similar to Portland, OR, but even less dissolved solids)

We'll I'm quaffing my inaugural pint. Malty - yes, but a bit boringly so; no real complexity (not surprisingly, though). Nice bitterness - bitter backbone with some hop flavour, followed by a lingering bitterness. Besides that, though, pretty dull.

Oh well, I guess that it has done what I wanted it to do - taste the base malt, taste the hop additions and not taste the yeast. Check, check and check.

Good thing it's 3.9% and I can pound it to get though it. Made another bitter today with a Crystal 60L addition and used 1275 with a starter.

I did 1/2 lbs on my last, I'm thinking I will bump it to a full pound next time. The recipe I did is in my sig. I'm also thinking about bumping the crystal to a higher lovibond and using less. I'd like a little more caramel in there.

When I started all grain, my first adventure toward a bitter was to make two SMaSHes. One MO with fuggles, the other MO with EKG......They taught me a couple of things I needed to know, but yeah, I didn't enjoy them.

I found that after I decided on the preffered late addition hop (EKG) it was all about the grist. I find I lean toward using both a crystal and a biscuit in the bill. Bitter has such a strong malt base that I feel that is the area that needs the most attention to complexity......I don't think I'll be making a SMaSH again any time soon though! ;)

I just did a Special/Best Bitter with:

86% Maris Otter
9.4% Biscuit
3.1% Crystal 55 (Simpson's)
1.6% Special B

1.0 oz Styrian Goldings (FWH)
1.0 oz Styrian Goldings (20 min)

Wyeast 1968 (1L starter on stirplate)

And after two days the smell and taste are incredible. I'm a huge believer in 2% SpecB in bitters.

When I started all grain, my first adventure toward a bitter was to make two SMaSHes. One MO with fuggles, the other MO with EKG......They taught me a couple of things I needed to know, but yeah, I didn't enjoy them.

I found that after I decided on the preffered late addition hop (EKG) it was all about the grist. I find I lean toward using both a crystal and a biscuit in the bill. Bitter has such a strong malt base that I feel that is the area that needs the most attention to complexity......I don't think I'll be making a SMaSH again any time soon though! ;)

Aw don't tell me that, I'm just about to do those exact two SMaSHes!

Aw don't tell me that, I'm just about to do those exact two SMaSHes!

It was a good idea, and still is.....Just don't do large quantities. :) I said I learned a couple of things from those, but the real learning comes on the following brews when you find out how the biscuits, caramels etc alter the basic ingredients.

It was a very valuable excercise is what I'm saying. :)

If you look at the latest issue of Zymurgy, there is an article on bitter. There is at least one commercial example of 'summer or golden bitter' that is entirely MO.

A very light bitter of good quality is a bloody hard ask though of someone just getting acquainted with the style. It's way easier to start big and scale down to the "Summer" beers. Having said that, i still think the SMaSHes are a good start. :)

Thought that I'd chime in and provide an update to my quest for a house British style bitter. Have realised a few things during this experiment since we last discussed this topic:

1. Better to start in the best bitter range, gravity wise, and dial back, rather than starting low. It is challenging to make a great low gravity (1030s) beer.

2. Achieving balance can be hard, but is absolutley worthwhile in this type of beer. What I loved about many of the ales that I had in the UK were balanced enough to let everything standout, even in a maltier or hoppier beer.

Anyway, here is my latest incarnation, which is currently on the gas (but very lightly).

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00
Measured Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.30 %
Bitterness: 35.2 IBU
Est Color: 9.7 SRM
Mash Time: 90 mins

Ingredients

8.50 lb Gambrinus ESB Malt (Pale Malt) (4.0 SRM) 87.18 %
0.50 lb 70-80 deg. L - Crystal/Caramel (75.0 SRM) 5.13 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) 5.13 %
0.25 lb Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM) 2.56 %

1.20 oz Whole - Northern Brewer [7.20 %] (60 min) 31.7 IBU
1.00 oz Whole - Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) 3.5 IBU
1.00 oz Pellet - Fuggles [4.70 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1 Pkgs Thames Valley II (Wyeast Labs #1882) [Starter 1000 ml]

Comments (flat out of secondary):

- Might have dry-hopped a bit heavily, but everything is present in the flavour - a nice, toasty maltiness, firmly bittered and the slight fruitness that the 1882 promised.
- Not sure how the carbonation will affect things, but I certainly feel that this beer is getting closer two what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom?

:mug:

Back