Build electric deep fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theichthus

Reaction score
So... I cut the collar off of a keg and I didn't like the result so I got a new one. My question is this--could I mount a 5500W element I it, hook it up to my control panel and fill it with oil and use it to deep fry? I have little deep frying experience but with that extra kettle I feel like I could build a deep frying vessel for cheap.... Any thoughts?

as long as you use gaskets and such that are food safe and rated to at least 400 degress, it SHOULD work.

I will expect a report from the Hospital asap!

you have to be a lot more careful on temperature....because unlike water, if you let it get too hot it will catch fire.

aside from that, most commercial deep fryers are electric, although the ones that size often take a lot more power...so you're recovery times will be a bit slower. But I doubt that'll matter too much to ya :)

Thanks for the feedback.. The typical silicone o-ring is rated for 450F so I should be fine there. The temperature will be taken care of via the PID. My panel is 60 amp and can handle two 5500W elements, so if recovery time was horrible I could rework it to include 11,000W. I don't think I will need to.

This sounds very promising. The only downfallis I might have to spend a decent amount of money on a longer cord as I would want to do this outside and all my current cord lengths are for indoor brewing. It might be quite a few months before I move on this idea, but I think I will...

Back