Budweiser American Ale - with Taste notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright guys, I finally tried it. Sorry it took me so long. Like I said, I'm not really the one certified here to be judging this for the first time, but I'll tell you what I think. I was really wanting to have a SNPA to drink also, so I could have something to compare this to, but finished off those last Thursday.

Thank you for reviewing the beer for us. If you wanted to compare this brew side-by-side with a similar product, I'd suggest Samuel Adam's Boston Ale. It's also a light and mildly hopped ale. The much more highly hopped SNPA would not be good comparison, as the hop aroma and high bitterness is a characteristic of SNPA that AB is specifically trying to avoid.

Sounds like most folks certainly plan to give it a try.

I think I'll set up an official "Bud American Ale - Critique Thread" (sticky).

The thread will be limited to a critique format where we judge the beer on its:
Aroma
Appearance
Flavor
Mouthfeel
Overall Impression

The beer should be judged according to the BJCP Description of an American Pale Ale.

Off topic banter would be deleted. All posts would need to adhere to this format.

General discussion would remain in this thread.

What do you think. Should we as brewers ourselves, step up and give this beer a fair judging?

I think that is a TERRIFIC idea! If it works out OK it could also be extended in other threads to other popular beers. It would be a good idea to have the BJCP criteria at the top of the thread too. (And any subsequent threads) This could even become a new section on the forum if all goes well. Such a section could prove very educational for anyone looking for a new style to brew that they have not tried before.

I received a bottle from my store yesterday and I'm trying it today.
HPIM3027.JPG

Appearance: Solid amber to slightly Redish. Decent head and stays around longer than expected.

Aroma: You can smell that they used Cascades in this. Not over bearing but quite prevalent.

Flavor: Bitterness upfront and continuing through to after taste. Hop flavor is present and is a welcome addition to this beer. This beer is dry which helps with the bitterness expect of this beer.

Mouth-feel: Thin. Being so dry it has no backbone to build on.

Overall: This is an obvious attempt at marketing against Sam Adam Boston Lager. About the same color and amount of hops but not the mouth feel of it.

Did you drink a Sam Adam's Boston Lager alongside the BAA? I'd expect it to be a closer match to Sam Adam's Boston Ale.

I tried the Michelob Pale Ale. I got to say the bottles are nice. Pry-offs (not that many here in the markets) with three labels that just fall off in a Oxy-Clean bath without much glue residue. :ban: They look like a Sam Adams. No re-calls I hope.
It tastes like carbonated Cascades.

From the looks of it, I would think it would be more of an American Amber Ale. The color would fit as would the slightly lower hop profile.

I was about to post the same thing. I am not anticipating this to be anywhere near close to a PA, just a very entry level amber.

I am just hoping it will drinkable enough for tailgates and such. I do not think it will detract from my current buying habits, but I am not yet snobby enough to dismiss it without giving it a fair shot.

I dont dismiss it because I am snobby... I dismiss it because BMC are behemoth companies and I would rather give my money to smaller, craft breweries who have making good and interesting beer as their priority (not making $$$) and who are willing to experiment and make new, exciting fun things.

Sorry man, I wasn't calling anyone out, or trying to offend. I am just saying, I will try the beer regardless of the brewer.

No offense taken, bro. I am a beer snob in training, no doubt, but that's not why I wouldnt try this... I think that even if this ended up being delicious... and by the few reports we have heard thus it doesnt seem to be... I would avoid it. There is so much good beer that I havent tried, any money I am not sinking into brewing my own I would rather sink into craft and local breweries.

I wonder if it's being marketed in the UK.

I would doubt it for now. Maybe later, when they have educated the chavs into drinking something that is not Bud....Oh! wait! Yes! I see now! ....Yes... it will end up in the UK soon, no doubt. :(

Oh the irony of taking ale to the UK. :(

It would be interesting to try it next to a standard kegged bitter like Tetley's.

I have a feeling that to do that would probably involve drinking two crap beers in quick succession. I'm still willing to give it a try though before I make up my mind. :)

you know, if these master brewers (yes i mean master brewers) decided to actually make a "Craft" beer they would. That is if the market demanded it. Its always about money ALWAYS.

But on topic, I havent been able to drink in 3 months cause of my medical condition (I just got a clean bill of health) and I saw the ad for American Ale and well damn it looks good. If anything this will be a gateway beer for some BMC drinkers and they will seek the craft beers we oh so enjoy.

Carlos

2 More days. I'll be making phone calls to the local bars today to find out where it will be. Hope BW3's is getting it. I can walk there from my house.

I was at a beerfest in Pensacola last weekend and INBEV had a giant booth inside.
I can say I tried it
I had to pour out a couple of random beers I sampled and I drank the American Ale but thats as far as I can go with talking good about it.
It doesn't deserve to be in the same post as two hearted, dfh 90 min, southern pecan, etc, etc...

I was at a beerfest in Pensacola last weekend and INBEV had a giant booth inside.
I can say I tried it
I had to pour out a couple of random beers I sampled and I drank the American Ale but thats as far as I can go with talking good about it.
It doesn't deserve to be in the same post as two hearted, dfh 90 min, southern pecan, etc, etc...

We aren't talking about Bells or DFH
I didn't expect it to be that good, but was it better than coors light. You really didn't tell us anything

Just got off the phone with my local distributor to find out where I could go today to try this. after getting the third degree from the receptionist why I needed to know where it would be served and "Who was I", I told her "I'm a person who enjoys beer and wanted to try it unless you guys don't want people drinking it?!" she passed me to sales. Asked same question "Where in town can I go today to try the new brew released to the 12th of September. Nowhere he says. It's being released to Draught today for bars to be able to buy it and will be delivered Monday. Anybody's bars actually serving it today? So far there is only one restaurant setup to be serving it Monday. None of the "bars" are on board as of yet. haha

I couldn't believe how rudely I was treated though while trying to inquire about where I could go to try there new beer!

You should of told the them you were a beer critic and would be publishing your experience including their public relations. :D

You would not of been untruthful.

Funny this popped up, I was just about to rant that if I didn't get a chance to brew soon (and prolly won't for a few more weeks) I might be forced to drink it for awhile, as punishment for letting my pipeline get dangerously low....I'm on single digit bottles of every batch I had brewed.....I brewed heavily in July, but only got one batch done in August (which I bottle yesterday) and My partigyle pumpkin won't be ready til Halloween....

Grrr.....

Soooo...........has anyone tried this yet????? I haven't seen it at any of the local bars i go to. I'm curious as to how this tastes.

It arrived at the liquor store today. The owner happened to be standing in the beer area and I remarked how I was skeptical. Well, he steps out back and whips out a cold bottle and gives it to me as a freebee. Nice guy!!

I got it home and poured it into my Sam Adams glass. All new beers get put in that glass first. Great cream colored head that laced the entire length of the glass. The color is a deep copper. This is an allergy week for me but the hop aroma couldnt be detected to any noticeable degree. If its got Cascades in the aroma, its too faint for me to tell with my handicapped nose this week.

Definately caramel in the flavor and was definately on the sweeter side. I prefer my session beers that way so this beer is something I gravitate to naturally. Don't get me wrong. I love my IPAs but for a weeknight dinner beer or 3, this beer is the type I look for.

This is no craft beer and really wouldnt hold its own to a Sam Boston Ale but after tasting it I don't believe there was any intent for it to be considered as such. It is what it is, a step up from Bud Lager but not in line with some of the more expensive micro offerings. This is quite evident by the $6.50 per six price tag. After tasting, I believe this beer may become the closet delight of some craft drinkers who need a break on the wallet every now and then. I may even go back out tonight and repay the kind liquor store owners kindness by getting a six of this.

Finally got around to trying this (kind of ) last night.
My buddy went to the one restuarant/bar in my town that got some this week. I told him we'd meet them there once my wife fed the baby. On the way there he called to let me know they had ran out. He had ordered a 2nd on the waitress brough him our about 1/4 of a glass and that was the last draw from the keg. So my review might not be legit since it was the last draw from the keg. He saved that 1/4 glass for me and the wife. upon getting there it was still good temperature for an ale. I noticed no hop aroma and the flavor was mostly non-existant. It was exactly what i expected basically. Not impressed but not dissapointed. I'll probably give it another fair shot sometime soon since my sample was the last keg draw and sat around about 10 minutes before I got to it. My buddy liked it, but he is just now starting to get into beers. So this beer basically found it's target niche with him, so I'll drink one of his when he buys it. The taste I had did not warrant me going out and buying a 6 pack though.
Luckily I was able to wash it down with a Murphys.

News Tribune

“What's an American Ale? Find out for yourself,” one ad says.

I think I will search HomeBrewTalk.com and have the experts tell me exactly how to make it and try it for myself rather than listen to what a multinational mega corporation thinks it is.

I have a great recipe of this for you. I know I'm a n00b but here goes.

Step 1.) Take empty bottle and pee in it.
Step 2.) Refrigerate and drink. Enjoy!

Just Kidding! :) Honestly though, NONE of the beers Budwesier makes are "tasty" or "original". My wife, who hates beer mind you, calls Budweiser products "piss in a bottle" and so do I. Bud probably saw beer sales as a whole were at a 10 year high in 08 and wants to capitalize on the microbrew market by coming out with a new "unique" style beer. All their new commericals on the radio crack me up, "the more you know about our beer the better it tastes" I'm sorry but their beer sucks, period. The more I know the more it sucks. They are corporate sell outs and make **** beer. :mug:

Brew it in the rocky mountains and it will boil at a lower temperature. :)

Sorry didnt see the original post. Thanks for the move.

Admittedly, I haven't tried this yet, but I can assure you that A-B is not the only macro-brewer going down this road. My dad has a neighbor that works for Miller and he brings over samples of Miller's test beers. A couple weeks ago, my dad got a mixer with a Miller Light (they actually labeled the brand as Miller Light, not Miller) Amber, Wheat, and a couple other varietals. I tried both the "wheat" and the "amber" and all I could taste was the Miller Light - I mean both of them tasted exactly the same and exactly like Miller Light, yech! The wheat was basically a cloudy American Light Lager. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and imagine that the new Bud isn't much different.

On a slightly brighter note, the new Leinenkugel seasonal Fireside Nut Brown Ale isn't half bad so long as you like hazelnut. Not a beer I could drink all the time but it makes for a nice evening beer when the air starts cooling down.

Hasn't AB already tried to break into the micro market with such swill as Beach Bum Blonde, Shock Top etc?

The problem they are going to have is that the "emerging beer drinkers" might initially like their sub par product. When they start experimenting and learning about how beer should taste, they will likely never go back.

I used to love New Castle...until I tasted a real brown ale.

Back